[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Need a soldering gun

Need a soldering gun

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Need a soldering gun

Postby spaceshoes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Any recommendations on a soldering iron/gun? I'm looking to start trying to build some sprint car chassis. So it would need to be able to solder the brass wire together.

Edited to correct typo and my mistake of putting copper instead of brass.
Last edited by spaceshoes on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spaceshoes

Re: Need a soldering gun

Postby mattb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Best all around iron out there is a Hakko 601. A little pricey but great for all work and will last forever. You can buy ebay chinese knockoffs for under $10 and they will work for a year or so.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:22 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Pappy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Don't buy a soldering gun, they are crap, get an iron. I have a Hakko but Weller and Unger work fine. Make sure it is at least 45 watts, 65 is better and all you'll ever need.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 4424ever » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:57 pm

I have a digital Trakpower iron and love it, set it for 750 degrees turn it on and it’s ready to go in under 2 min :music-rockout:
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 pm

walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Congratulations! You have asked one of the questions that elicit tonnage in opinions that are all heartfelt and sincere. I'm a Hakko man myself. I had Wellers and before that a WEN (ask your grandfather- WEN is the grandfather of Weller). I still have all of them, in various conditions of repair, so that I don't do something rough with a very fine tool. My Hakko FX-888D is the best I have ever seen, bar none. I have 8 different tips for different jobs, and it only takes seconds to swap them out. I can go from tiny circuit repair on PCB to slot cars to sweating pipes in no time at all.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Gameover » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:58 pm

I use the same one harry mentioned. Works great.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 pm

It won't work for me because I need to dial in specific temps for different kinds of jobs and solders and fluxes. There's nothing wrong with it for slot car stuff, that's certain.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Broman62 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 am

Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:53 am

The value of good acid flux is as important as your choice of iron. Lucky Bob's is the best and a good coating on your work will make the solder flow smoothly to all surfaces. I find cleaning with a wire brush, sandpaper, nothing makes joints as nice as using acid.

Not all fluxes are equal. I have tried a few from the stuff the local radiator shop uses to a plumbers flux called Ruby Red. None are as good as LB's. The problem is the cost, but I have found that "Sta Clean" flux is probably what LB pours into those little fingernail polish bottles. You can find Sta Clean on the internet in 6-8 ox bottles for under $10 and you will have a lifetime supply.

mb
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 am

I've used the Harris "Sta Clean" flux since the early 70's for chassis building. It's also available with a small coil of 4% silver solder too, if that is needed. Oatey's liquid flux, available at some hardware stores & home center Is supposed to be quite good too. It's stronger than Ruby red. i bought a bottle to try, but haven't yet. When using any acid flux, be sure to clean your work with alcohol or a mixture of water & baking soda to neutralize the acid. If you don't, any iron of steel parts (such as piano wire) will rust.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:47 am

I've used several fluxes over the years, all of the above work fine. The best thing I did was to push a large gauge hypodermic needle through the opening of a drip bottle I got with one of my Wellers. I Dremeled the sharp tip off and ground it smooth and round, and it is the best way to apply flux I have ever had. Doing custom wiring on fancy electric guitars can be a huge PIA, but with my little flux bottle I save a lot of frustration.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bill from nh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Your custom flux bottle was a good idea & makes it easy to place the flux exactly where you want it. Nice job. I stuck a 1" piece of teflon tubing in the squirt tip of a small flux bottle that works similar. i also like to place a bit of flux in a glass dish (custard cup) & apply it with a natural hair paint brush. To keep solder & flux from flowing where I don't want it, I apply ATF or correction fluid there.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby spaceshoes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Thanks for your suggestions and the tips about flux. Can't wait to get some materials and get to practicing and seeing what I can come up with.
spaceshoes

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop