2018 Can Am Chassis

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

2018 Can Am Chassis

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:05 pm

I bought a dozen of the Avant chassi's that were available at a ridiculously low price. A lot of these cars were just parted out for builds. Wheels, grub screws, guides etc. So this left me with some excess anglewinder motor pods. For my 2018 Can Am entry I wanted to build something that maybe was a little better handling then my previous proxy entries. I thought I would build a brass podded chassis, to see how that would work.

First I modified the pod to accept a 130 type motor, and cut it down so it would easily fit under my Resin Ferrari 350 casting.

Once the final shape of the motor pod was determined I layed it out and marked up a brass sheet and fashioned something along the lines of the old Cox 1/43 Superscale chassis. Pictures are worth thousands of words so here is what i ended up with.

Trials have been very positive on my home track. Even though the motor is only 17000 rpm, it out performs my Trans-Am builds that are using 20K long cans. Very stable and the floating pod has eliminated any chatter or wheel hop in the corners.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 2018 Can Am Chassis

Postby chappy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am

Nice job Dan. Considerably different than the Tims card on your Panamericana car lol.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Yes , I have moved away from the gift card, Although the Pan Am event has really put the chassis to the test. I don't think I am running last, so it has met my expectations. My cars are never near the top half, so in the interest of fun and progress, new ideas need to be used in an effort to get to midpack. Hopefully this chassis has the stability to allow drivers to push it hard.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Looks interesting, Dan. Do you have enough lateral support for the pod with what looks like only two screws holding it at the front end?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:00 pm

The brass cut out basically holds the pod in place laterally. the shape is unique on each side, and there really is no place else for it to go. There is some up and down, and some pivoting, but the wheel track stays inline. All I know is that it gets around quicker then anything else I have built. I cranked up the voltage to 14 volts just to see what the extra RPM would buy me. The chassis was still well planted, so maybe I will go with a 21 K motor for the proxy as it looks like the chassis can handle more RPM.

I really am looking for a can that is tapped to accept mounting screws. The Scalextrics motors don't seem to be set up that way. Anyone know what the Pioneer motors have for mounting holes?.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:21 am

Have a look at the SRP motors; sold by MRRC. You have to send to Germany to get them, but they're good motors and they are tapped to accept mounting screws. Quite a selection, actually.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop