[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Who has both Scaley TA & FR500C Mustangs??

Who has both Scaley TA & FR500C Mustangs??

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Who has both Scaley TA & FR500C Mustangs??

Postby 007jag » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Hello,
Scalextric does the TA 70's Stang and they also make the newer "FR500C" version.
Since I don't own one of the newer ones, I figured someone here does and can help me out??
What I'm wondering is:
Are the newer Mustangs using the same chassis that the older ones do??
If not do they have the same wheelbase - width & length?

Basically I'm trying to find out if the newer ones are a worthy choice for scratch-building with some resin bodies?

Thank you for your input
Jack
007jag

Re: Who has both Scaley TA & FR500C Mustangs??

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby 007jag » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi Harry,
Your right about surgery for sure - how about this;
Would the new FR chassis fit under a RMS resin body?
Thanks for your help!
Jack
007jag

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 pm

I don't know sir, never tried it.

I am using a HRS now. Or at least going to. It came in the mail and going to use it under his Cougar.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby boopiejones » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:51 pm

the fr500c has a slightly shorter wheelbase than the TA. maybe 1mm less. the rear spacing between the bushings is identical on both cars, but the rear track is 5mm wider on the fr500c. front spacing between bushings is narrower on the fr500c, but the front track is about 3mm wider on the fr500c.

personally, i think the fr500c chassis is a poor choice for scratchbuilding (unless you get a really sweet deal on the chassis only or already have a spare chassis with a busted body sitting around). the car is a clamshell design, so you'd need to remove part of the body from the chassis using a dremel. this also kills any potential to resell the body to recoup some of the costs (if that was your plan).
boopiejones

Postby 007jag » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 am

Hi boopiejones,
Thanks for the very thorough comparison and I did not know it was a clamshell type.
I've been noticing that the FR stangs seem to run $8 to $10 less then the TA stangs.

And since I'm so cheap ,,,um I mean frugal, I was wondering if the one could be substituted for the other to go under some resin builds?

Would you know if the two types drive & handle similarly ?

Harry,
I like the HRS & HRS2 platform - Great set up! I suppose I figured it outclassed the stock chassis?
What I'm hoping to do is tune & build a closely matched field of cars basically around a stock set-up.
Does that make sense?

Regards,
Jack
007jag

Postby Fred Fries » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 am

Jaack, do you know the Scaley TA chassis is/was available as a separate piece with the front axle included, they were sellin for about 13$ if I remember correctly, I bet there are still some around.

Fred
Fred Fries

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:37 am

It makes perfect sense.

It is why I chose the HRS as a platform. First, from a money standpoint it's hard to beat.

It comes with a guide and the rear bushings. Parts are parts and they cost.

The cars I plan to build are to be raced in our little 1/32 Oval League. So I want them to be pretty evenly matched. Instead of trying to scratchbuild chassis, I just went with this one.

Good luck in your builds.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby DAVE » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Alternately you might look into Fly classic chassis for under resin bodies. I have done
several of these over the years. But the HRS is my choice for wider cars and Ninco classics
for narrower cars.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop