[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Building my Monte Carlos - DONE!

Building my Monte Carlos - DONE!

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Building my Monte Carlos - DONE!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:52 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: Building my Monte Carlos

Postby dge467 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Those are looking great Dave!!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby FC47 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Couple o real beauties there!!
Really nice!

Paul
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Excellent how to. Appreciate the time Doc.

I have been vetoed by the local governing body (Cheater) and I will be using the same chassis to keep the series we have intact. So this came in very handy.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Building my Monte Carlos

Postby dreinecke » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Glass: This is probably the hardest part of resin kit builds unless you're an absolute pro model builder and the kit has perfect glass. Neither of those applies to me - TRUST me.

Here's how I do it:

1) Carefully and slowly, trim the glass until if fits the opening fairly well with no buckles. Don't cut TOO much or you'll end up with a gap - if you do though, it CAN be fairly well repaired - as long as you didn't go too far.

2) Tape the glass into place with a small piece of tape you can easily remove later.

3) Using a craft glue such as Modge-Podge and with a toothpick, lay in a bead of glue along the edge of the glass.

4) Fill any minor gaps with the glue. It will dry clear, and once dry - can be cleaned up with water!

5) Once dry, remove the tape and fill that area just like in #3 above.

Waiting for the glue to dry for the clean up and coating with Future!

When I'm totally done with my build, I use Future floor wax to coat the car - including the glass. It helps seal it in, helps hide the gaps, and gives the glass a thinner look.

As an FYI - I have never used more than one piece of glass for any of my builds - even those I've thought I've goofed on. The above methods can almost always mask the problems quite satisfactorily.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: Building my Monte Carlos - Updated with Glass!

Postby oldtymer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Wow....great job on those builds and thanks for the tips .
Fred...AKA Pickles
oldtymer
Cat Lovers Club Prez

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:46 pm

Great pics and tips!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Broman62 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 am

Excellent tut Dave...especially for me the decal part cause I’ve never been good at decals and don’t have the patience so I’m gonna have to invest in some Pattos stick ons...they look great on there!!!!! Need to invest in some Modge Podge also!!!! Can’t wait to get my cars I ordered to get working on!!!! Thanks!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Clear Coating: I’m still a fan of Future over my cars. Doesn’t harm the decals and is easy to work with. Note: Future is now called Pledge Floor Care - you want the “Multi Surface Finish” like the bottle you see here:

I use a cheap 1” foam brush to put it on and I coat everything including the glass.

I place the car over an overturned slot car case lid to hold them while drying.

As the finish is drying, I take a scrap of paper towel to absorb any drips on the lower body:

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby 73emgee » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Good info and pics, thanks
73emgee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Great stuff David.
I usually test fit my windows before the top coats of paint. That way I can scrape a little more resin away if I need to without damaging the final coats of colour.
Is that the Revo Monogram chassis in the pictures?
Regards
John
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Glad some are finding it useful.

John - that's pretty much when I start the glass fitting - prior to painting. Same reason I do all chassis fitting, etc. prior to paint - I am all thumbs once the body is painted and I'm guaranteed to nick it otherwise.

The chassis is actually the Carrera one from their stockers.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:28 am

Looking great sir.

When I used the peel and stick, your Exacto knife came in handy. I could press the very edge/corner on the top of the blade and this helped me place the decal in the right location.

Thanks for the glass install tips. I forgot about the Modge Podge.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby munter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks for the reply, David.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Interior:
I used the interior the kit comes with and added the roll cage from the donor Carrera car as well as the driver’s head just to see how it looked.

I hot glued it into place and installed the chassis:

Done! The world’s first two 1:32 Scale 1970 Monte Carlos are ready for action!

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop