[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Home Racing World • View topic - A Old '55 Ford Tow Truck "FINISHED" With video

A Old '55 Ford Tow Truck "FINISHED" With video

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

A Old '55 Ford Tow Truck "FINISHED" With video

Postby dge467 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:13 pm

I have been wanting to build this for a real long time, and finally the parts are coming together.Plus a friend of mine who likes to corner marshal has been asking for a wrecker to run. :lol: The chassis, interior and body are cast in resin by a Ebay seller in 1/32 scale. They are a bit crudely molded but I plan on making it look like a well seasoned work horse anyway. I used a Arin 1/43 chassis for the motor and rear axle pod. I just cut off everything forward of the motor and modified the rear axle and gear area. I made some brackets for the pod and epoxied them to the pod and screwed it onto the chassis. I epoxied the plastic tube for the front axle on the chassis, same for the guide holder. Nothing pretty, but it works! The wheels and axles are from a Fly slot truck, a big thanks to Mike at Clover Leaf Racing for those!!!

The wrecker body I am making from scratch using foam core board and sheet plastic. I need to make a wrecker boom next. Stay tuned for more progress.

Last edited by dge467 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dge467
The King of Foil

Re: A Old Ford Tow Truck

Postby dge467 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:56 pm

I painted the cab and then sanded through the paint in spots. I added some surface rust here and there. I also weathered the wrecker body. The kit just comes with a sheet of clear plastic to make the windows. I cut out a piece for that curved windshield, held it in place inside the cab and heated it up with a hair dryer to form the shape. I cut out and fitted the rest of the side and back window "glass".

I bought a 1/32 tow truck die cast on ebay, I am going to use it's plastic wrecker boom on the truck.

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:52 pm

What a great project. You always pick a winner, but this is truly an exceptional one.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Mebrown » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 pm

This is going to look great when it's finished. Are you going to put some flashing lights on it too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mebrown

Postby dge467 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Thanks guys! I thought of doing flashing lights, not sure yet.

The diecast tow truck arrived, but unfortunately the wrecker boom is too small. So back to plan "A" and build one from scratch!
I used some different size plastic beams and tubing and constructed a typical old wrecker boom by looking at a bunch of old tow trucks. The black bulkhead I had in my junk box and I just built it off of that. Then I painted and weathered it. I also added some rust spots. I have to add a winch and cables to it plus some odds and ends.

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dge467 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:14 pm

I pretty much finished up the wrecker boom. I added a winch from my junk box and modified it a bunch to make it look somewhat correct for this application. I used some wire for the cables and added some lights. I also have the interior and driver finished up.

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:46 am

This is just too cool! Looking forward to more updates! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Re: A Old '55 Ford Tow Truck

Postby dge467 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Well the beast is finished! I made some fuel tanks from some Aurora Model Motoring bridge piers. I made the filler necks from some scrap plastic, The front bumper is from the parts box as are the mirrors.. I also added a flashing LED light. I installed the bulb in a 1/25 emergency light lens and base. It runs pretty smooth! Thanks for looking.

Last edited by dge467 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dge467
The King of Foil

Re: A Old '55 Ford Tow Truck "FINISHED" With video

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:28 pm

I love it!!! The word that comes to mind is Ponderous. That thing is a beast!!! Nice work Sir!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:17 am

Yes sir, what a project. Nice one.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby FC47 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:55 am

Nice job! Nice track too!

Paul
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sadco racing » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:23 am

Inspiring piece of modeling right there, great job!
sadco racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:50 am

:text-thankyouyellow:

great Job
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby ourwayband » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Man that is cool!!!
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Saw this tow truck on the track st The River Run. Another cool build from Jeff!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop