Confirmation again....

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Confirmation again....

Postby SuperSlab » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:06 pm

...as if confirmation was really needed.

I am not a scratchbuilder. There, I have said it.

Doing things to a chassis, even fabricating some chassis stuff: that's OK. Tuning? That's great! Decorating a body? No siree, that's not me!

But I do try on occasion. But I accept that I need help, so when I saw a beautiful pre-painted Proto Slot kit of a Lola GT Mk. 6, I bravely thought: maybe this I can handle... The reason for my enthusiasm is that this has always been one of my favourite cars. It also happened to be my first really serious commercial track car in the sixties: AMT brass pan chassis, Dynamic 26D motor, vacuum formed body: it was a beast! So when I saw this body advertised I decided to give it a try. I mean, it is pre-painted after all, so I thought that sort of limits the damage I can do.....

To give you an idea: this was the look I was going for (yeah, right....)

Chassis: one of the big challenges with this car is that it is relatively narrow. And if I am not a scratchbuilder, I am EMPHATICALLY not a brass chassis builder. So in looking at it the body was clearly too narrow for a Slot.it pod with a chassis around it. So: inspiration! Why bother with a chassis around it? How about just the pod as the rear of the chassis?

So I butchered the front off of an old Slot.it Gp C chassis, added SCC adjustable front axle block, screwed it to an inline Slot.it pod with a Flat 6 motor, some CB Design insert wheels and voila: a running chassis! And this is what it looks like:

And then onto the body and cosmetics:

i) I was able to use the front body mounting post that was cast in as part of the resin body: hallelujah!
ii) Added two styrene tube rear body mounts to line up with the pod mounting holes.
iii) Fitted the vacuum formed glass. This is another job that I am really not good at. Again coincidentally this came out OK.
iv) The resin interior tray looked to big and heavy: butchered it and used some bits such as the dash and engine detail (which I had to paint). Used the driver head that came with the kit: painted it in my clumsy style. Took a photograph of a suitable interior, printed it on stiff photo paper and used that as the (flat) interior. Looks semi-plausible in any case....
v) The Halibrand inserts that came with the car were far to big. Fortunately I stil had a set of Slot.it Ford GT40 Halibrand inserts: these are a perfect fit. Gave them a long distance, light spray of silver to get the darkish, dirty-ish, rough-ish look I wanted. COated the knockoffs with Molotow liquid chrome from a pen (LOVE this!!!). And even if I say so myself: the wheels look rather good.
vi) "Painted" the lower side panels with a Molotow pen to get the aluminum sheet look of the real car. Came out rather nice!
vii) And then the decals. Ahh, the decals.... Getting a big decal to fit properly on a compound curve like the nose of the car is a nightmare! But by great good luck it actually came out quite OK I thought.
viii) Added lights, painted the rear taillights (with chrome trim using the Molotow pen again), painted the grilles flat black, painted the exhaust.

And then it was sort of done! And I must say I think it looks rather nice:

The result is really a tribute to the very good quality of the PSK kit. The finish is great, the paint well done, the supplied bits (including decals) really nice. Did I meet my objective in terms of the look of the photograph at the start of the post? Well, not totally, but good enough for me!

I had it at the track on Friday evening (before adding all the internal bits, windows, decorations etc) and it ran really well: did a 6.892 second lap on Luf's Targa, which is not at all bad. It is quiet and smooth but a little bit tricky to drive because it is narrower and more upright than the ideal. But now i have a rather unique model of a car I really like!

And that is it for me for semi-scratch building for the next year!!!

Alwyn
Last edited by SuperSlab on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Confirmation again....

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Can't wait til Friday!!!
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:24 pm

That turned out GREAT!!!
Bravo sir!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:40 pm

:text-goodpost: :text-yeahthat:
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:41 pm

They must have a lot of floods in B.C. I can tell because you are sandbagging like Capt. Noah of the Coast Guard!

That's a flawless car if you ask me, and that particular car is very hard to do well. I have fought the good fight with that one and its cousin, the Lola GT (Monogram shell). You did fine, and I bet you know it. Be proud.
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Dodgefarmer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:15 pm

WOW!!! It doesn't matter if that car even runs. That is the most beautiful slot car I have ever seen. I grew up North American, automobiles were chevy, ford, dodge (definitely not in that order). :lol: It wasn't until I got back into slots that I began to realize what I was what I was missing. The almost seemingly infinite (to me) variety of European exotic sports cars is truly a wonder to behold, and this Lola has to be at the top of the list. Alwyn would you have a link to that body?

Thank You for posting this car
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Looks great to me! Probably much better than I could do. That is a hard car to get right and you have done very well.
Small car freak.
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby bobbyraz49 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:37 pm

It's awesome ! Congrats !
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:09 pm

You see....It's not that hard. :lol:
As I've posted several times on here. If you can't solder....Just super glue styrene together :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously....GREAT JOB :dance:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks all for the kind comments.

And Waay: two comments regarding sandbagging: firstly and truly: this kind of project really is not something I much like and I truly (madly deeply?) am not very good at it. Hence I generally avoid it like the plague. The second thing is that by my standards I also feel this car came out really, really well. I quite frankly love it to bits.

But also a bit of a confession: I have so far not built up the courage to fit the rear wing or the headlight covers. The wing is just a flat piece of painted metal and ther is no real provision for fitting it on the rear. To me it looks like I will just mess it up with glue and spoil the rest of the car. The car might well go wingless forever.... And the headlight covers: the shaped rear window was enough of a challenge to cut out of the vac formed blank. The two small curved headlight covers in a blank shaped like the nose of the car? No way! I am just too afraid to even start cutting it out! And then to fit it? I am just not brave enough so far...

Randy: I got the painted kit from Electric Dreams. I took a quick look: they still have one available here. It is not inexpensive but it really is very good. This is what you get in the kit:

They also have a green "regular" Lola GT (without the outrageous flares that John Mecom added) but that looks too tame....

And as for the "It doesn't matter if that car even runs" comment: the lap time I did with it is comparable to some of my slower Slot.its, so it is absolutely no slouch. Admittedly that was before I fitted the interior, windows, trim detail etc so I suspect it will be a bit slower next time around because of the slightly higher CoG. But it is just a great drive and with some work I think I can get some more out of it. And as a bonus it looks gorgeous going around the track!

Cheers

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:42 pm

There ya go! Don't be surprised to find that you feel more confident every time you do one of these. Good for you!
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Wobble » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:17 pm

"And I must say I think it looks rather nice". That's you and me both Sir. Great job.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Alwyn,
You have done a wonderful job with what I consider to be one of the most beautiful cars of the era. The Lola GT has always been a favorite, and the bulging Mecom beast is the ultimate Lola GT.

I like your solution....a solo pod is the theory for some of the 3D printed pods that attach with wire or brass rod. Running smooth is the start, and with a car you want sometimes that is enough.

I have two resin copies of the Monogram....and haven't been brave enough to tackle them. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Nice job on a wonderful car. It turned out real well. its a looker for sure.
Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Thank you for the link Alwyn. My apologies for a misunderstanding on the "doesn't run" comment. I am aware that, that is a very respectable time. My comment was more directed that even "if" it were a shelf queen or a static model it is an extraordinarily beautiful car.

Thanks again
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop