[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scratch Building is?

Scratch Building is?

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: Scratch Building is?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:24 am

Here is a couple of my simple chassis.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby gascarnut » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:36 am

Real nice photos and those black frames look really cool!

What paint do you use, and does it stick well to the brass? Any special process to prep the brass?
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 am

Well thanks sir.

It's Duplicolor Perfect Match series lacquer. I find mine at Auto Zone.

I clean and prep the chassis using those nice abrasive "scrubbers" I like to call them.

My final prep will sound very odd, but it works. I take the chassis and spray it down with inexpensive "Lime Away" in a spray bottle along with a little Dawn liquid. I scrub it lightly with an old toothbrush and rinse. That removes any oils left behind.

Then spray away. Just a few coats. Yes, it sticks pretty well, but it does chip off here and there over time with hard racing. But most of my chassis still look fine.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby alexis in greece » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:50 am

alexis in greece
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:27 am

With the style chassis you guys build, do you need to add front weight? With the 17,000 Jaws we run, we put extra weight in the front end to keep it in the slot on the curves. I noticed this wasn't necessary on my home track which uses Carrera #4 turns. Those tight curves require braking, moderate acceleration and then full coming out of the corner. On the commercial track we run on the curves are 8-12 foot wide and once you brake and enter you can hit full speed again. The full throttle in the corner will make the car lift out of the slot without the extra weight.

I find the best frames I can build are based on a flat brass plate, and, as close to track as possible. I have to keep it simple for my limited soldering abilities!!!

mb
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:38 am

Here are some scatchbuilt 143 scale cars I have done.

I think all of them are using a version of the Gift card chassis

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:11 pm

These are a couple of 1:32 builds from earlier this year.
Chassis are mostly 3/64 - 1/16 brass rod with a little flat brass added.
The engines I cast from some NASCAR Snap-Tite kits. I added seat backs to some driver figures, & cast them.
The 38 Chevy mod started life as a diecast . I cast the body from that, then "slightly modified" it to suit.

I cast the '40 Ford body from a Shotgun Dave slosh cast-off Harry gave me.
Then Me, the Dremel & some Bondo finished it up.
I print my decals on a $50 ink jet & spray with Ace Hardware clear enamel when dry.

strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:49 pm

@ strangebrew - now that's scratch building! - body, chassis, tires and modeling detail

Closest I've come is my Toyota S800 build.

This facet of slot cars has helped keep my interest going. I enjoy the building more than racing now.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:04 pm

brew that mod is fantastic
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Wire and brass
I painted this one with etch primer