[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - A Blast From the Past Returned to Life

A Blast From the Past Returned to Life

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

A Blast From the Past Returned to Life

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I can remember when I was but a young kid racing at my local commercial slot car raceway we all liked to race "Gran Prix" cars. Hey, there was this movie called "Gran Prix" and after watching that in the latest technology sound system, back in the day, we just had to have some. Rod & Custom used to carry articles on cars that were being built around the country. There was this guy in southern California, John Cukras, that had built a great looking GP car. I decided to buid one like it.

Then several years ago, a group came up with a rules set for "1966 Rod & Custom Gran Prix Cars". Hey, I had built one back in the day, so why not build another one. Here's what I came up with:

It's a John Dilworth produced Ferrari 1512 body. Of course it must be red! After painting the body, I decided to put all the running gear under the body, just like the prototype. Fortunately there was JUST enough room inside to get everything located and allow the car to run with no interference of any kind.

We had a couple of folks build one for themself, but when you run these cars on a large modern high speed track, an 'unfortunate incident' will basically destroy the car. Perhaps "destroy" is a bad choice of words. How about bent up to the point where it is easier to build another one then straighten the one you had built? Brass rod is easy to bend - both good and bad news! I can remember shortly after building my first one, my next one alternated brass rod and piano wire in the frame. That chassis fared much better due to that configuration.

My Ferrari was relegated to the back of the pit box. It sat there, in silence awaiting an opportunity. Well due to it's track of 2.75 inches, when we got our new track with a lane spacing of 3.5 inchs, opportunity had arrived. I pulled the Ferrari out, put it on the track and attempted to run a lap. How did that go you ask? Not too well. The tires had hardened and there was absolutely no grip whatsoever.

I was perusing Paul Gage's website and saw the XPG tires for Pro-Track wheels. Well it is obvious that the wheels you see in front of you are not Pro-Tracks, but they are the same dimensions of the Pro-Track wheels. So I ordered a couple of sets to try.

If all works out as expected, I will be elated as this is something I've wanted to do for a long time, but have been unable to. There are a couple of chassis 'in process' sitting on my work bench eagerly awaiting the outcome of this test session. If it goes well, then you will be seeing a Lotus 19 coming along here very shortly.

Heck, here's a photo of that chassis, along with a 1/32 and 1/43rd chassis built the same way:

I'm hoping to have these tires from Paul Gage work on our new track. I have a lot of 'old bodies' that will find their way into cars.

Stay tuned!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: A Blast From the Past Returned to Life

Postby dreinecke » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Really, really nice work and a great looking car!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby gascarnut » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Nice work, all the way down to 1/43.

If you like small, try this:

More detail:

1 inch wheelbase, 3/4" wide or so, so it's about 1/96 scale. The axle tubes are 1/16 diameter and the rails are 1/32.

I made it as a necklace for my wife.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Nice work and great looking car!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Dennis,

I love the Jaildoor Junior! 1/96th! Awesome. I surrender!

Now that I have a routed track to race on, I'm looking forward to more and more of this type of car. I am building once again and loving every second of it.

Slot car rock and I love building as much as racing them.

Personally, I would love to see you start posting some of your awesome builds here!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby FootScoot » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 am

Nice chassis' on both counts. Grand Prix, or F-1 cars are kind of delicate. Once one of the open wheels gets into something it's usually not good, but they're still cool especially scratchbuilt ones. :) Looking forward to seeing the others when done. ;)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Florida_Slotter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:58 am

FootScoot,

I totally agree with your assessment of the fragility of Gran Prix cars. On a high banked track, it is all too common. I can remember racing these mostly on flat tracks like the American Black 'back in the day'. The terminal velocity was no where near that of a car going through a high bank turn.

These cars will be racing on a most flat track. I say 'mostly' because there is one 180 degree turn that has just a bit of positive camber to it. You can not run wide open through the turn so I don't think we can reach the velocity where these cars will self destruct.

Also I am writing into our ruleset where you can use piano wire to brace the front axle assembly.

Just one more way of having FUN while slot car racing.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop