[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1950's Watson

1950's Watson

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

1950's Watson

Postby RazorJon » Mon May 15, 2017 11:29 am

Got this body from Shotgun a long time ago.

Playing on the Mini lathe I came up with these old salt flats spun aluminum wheels

I know this is just a fantasy car but it looks cool to me
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Re: 1950's Watson

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon May 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Definitely digging the look!!!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby chrisguyw » Mon May 15, 2017 12:58 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Mon May 15, 2017 1:41 pm

I have a Watson I started for the Indy Proxy but ran out of time. That looks amazing!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Mon May 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi RazorJon, Not sure what livery you are planning to do, but, many moons ago I got some decal sheets from EJ's Hobbies that he produced for his Watson kit.........and they are very nice indeed!

I used the Jim Rathman livery on the following car, but, I think I have the Roger Ward "Leader Card" decal sheet, and another (maybe Dean Van Lines) in my stash........if you are interested, let me know.

Cheers
Chris Walker

This is a build of the Ej's Hobbies Watson.......it is a clear lexan (actually PETG) shell.

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Mon May 15, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks guys for all the kind words

Hi Chris, sure what are you needing for the sheet?
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby chrisguyw » Tue May 16, 2017 7:09 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue May 16, 2017 7:36 am

Pretty nice so far. Good to see this.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 am

That picture of Chris's Simoniz Special made me want a copy of that real bad. I had built one with the 1/24 Monogram Kurtis Indy car, but I gave it away a few years ago. I actually thought his car was one of those Osterero models until I talked to him.. I built a reasonable copy using one of the Watson bodies I make. It's not as nice as his, but it does run 8 sec laps on a Blue King!

SIMONIZSPECIAL.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 am

Super cool if ya ask me...great work RJ!! Looking forward to seeing her all dolled up!!! :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue May 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Jon, My offer of free decals is now of little use to you as Dave has indicated that this is a 1/24 car......my decals are 1/32.

Sorry bout that!! :oops:

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RBPhillips » Tue May 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Man, I love those cars. Even though I rooted for the rear engined invasion as a kid of 9 to 12 in 1962-65, the Watsons, and their builder, A.J. himself, were archetypes of perfect adaptation to a set of circumstances. With the history and men behind them, how can you lose?
RBPhillips

Postby mattb » Tue May 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Indycals.net has got many, but not all of the Watson liveries from the 50's and 60's. He's got a bunch of the rear engine stuff, too. I know you guys get tired of seeing the Indy cars I do, but they are my favorite old race cars. I've done 12-15 and they all have Indycals on them.

I really enjoy the history of the 500 and have picked up a few books on the glory days. AJ Watson was one of the best of many backyard type guys that had skills equal to these engineers that design today. AJ based his roadster on the Kurtis design that came before, but he refined it a little farther. I love the classic days of Indy.

P1010004.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks again guys for all the kind words

Chris, no worries I have a few choices and this is a fantasy ride

Shotgun what ever you need let me know, its a slow time here at the Razor Shop and the lathe is working fine

These casting that Shotgun did are top notch, they are 1\24 but as thin as they are you could run them on a Scally track or a Wood track for 1\32
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby RBPhillips » Wed May 17, 2017 3:42 am

Matt, your starting grid picture of your handiwork is the stuff that dreams are made of.
RBPhillips

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop