[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - My first build '32 Ford

My first build '32 Ford

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

My first build '32 Ford

Postby tin_indians » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:51 pm

Last edited by tin_indians on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: My first build

Postby Radarek » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:40 am

Nice work Rick. That will look awesome when finished. We need to get class for it in the future. :banana-dance:
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 am

Doesn't look hacked to me either!! Looks better than OK to me.
If it runs & stays in the slot, it's a successful build.
I make mine look better by not taking such crisp pictures :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Beast Lee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 am

Nice job Bud, lookin' forward to seeing it do laps...!!! :music-rockout:
Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 am

Go, man, go! My first two or three didn't look so well done.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Nice job, you should have fun running that car!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks guys, you're too kind. I'm curious how much it will weigh when its all said and done. I mean, its gonna hopefully have decent traction with the meats I put on the back. They're the 22166FF PG eurythane so they're plenty wide. I was going to run them on the front too but I thought they looked too wide so I grabbed a pair of unknown sized smaller tires and the "look" seems more appropriate.
Breaking in the motor right now, when that's done I'll bolt it all back together, Take a couple of preliminary race night pics and we'll see how it runs thurs night. I'd love to run up against Beast's car he got off of Shotgun, but I don't think he'll have it yet. 8-)
Gotta hit the Dollarama and get a deck of cheapo playing cards. Then I can get the cockpit looking better at least.
Oh..I'm going to say why I used JB Weld was because I couldn't create a new solder joint without an existing one close by melting as well under the heat. Is there a secret on how to get multiple solder joints in one area?
I had a bugger of a time doing the piece for the guide. When I soldered the "L" piece to the frame, the guide pivot tube would come undone and vice versa too.
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Ahhh....so that's how its done. I'm using a K&S 60 watt iron. I thought you had to have the metal hot to avoid a "cold" joint. I have not been able to find liquid flux so I use a paste. You guys in the States get the good stuff lol.

And racing against Beast can be tough. Hes fast but.......not un-beatable lolol.
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Last edited by tin_indians on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:19 am

That turned out very nice irregardless if it is a first effort or not. I wish my first effort was as nice. Heck even my latest soldered efforts don't measure up to this

Nice job and thanks to all the others that posted helpful hints
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:30 am

As the others have said, you should be very proud of your first build. Even though it may not be perfect in your eyes, it is pretty darn nice! Keep at it, because the more you build, your workmanship will only get better. Be sure to post more photos once you get have the body painted & the car finished. Paste flux is okay if you're only soldering brass-to-brass, but once you add iron or steel(piano wire) into a joint, you need an acid flux to get the solder to bite into those metals. Another good product for interior shelves is recipe cards. I've used them by spraying them flat black, then cutting them to the desired shape. They might even be cheaper than a deck of playing cards. :)
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 am

Don't forget gift cards as building material. You guys know I use these for the chassis, but they are good for interior trays as well.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:21 pm

tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Beast Lee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Got to drive that Hot Rod tonight, what a blast, and I must say a very easy car to drive... :auto-driving:

Well done Buddy...!!! :music-rockout:
Beast Lee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop