Magnuts!!...or Ground control to Major Tom

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Magnuts!!...or Ground control to Major Tom

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Gang, I don't often build magnet cars.....I don't like them, but, nor do I bash them.....lots of folks at the shop I help out at love them, and as you can imagine, magnet racers end up buying lots of parts.......so, they are good for business ;)

Anyway, I was contacted and asked to build a car for a class that had only one rule......you could only use 2 slot-it magnets!!......everything else is open ........ I can see the parts flying now!! :scared-eek:

So, as weight is the sworn enemy in magnet racing, and power is king, I had 2 objectives.....light/lots of grunt!!

I did build a car like this many moons ago,...it worked well, so with a few changes, I built its successor.

The complete chassis (as you see it) weighs 55gms, and it is powered by a much modified Pro Slot Euro Mk I motor,...... mods included, a drill blank motor shaft, upgraded comm, 80T x 30 wind, balanced, honed magnets, gold dust motor brushes etc. etc. and as a result should turn in the 50/60K range with lots of torque.

As you can see, the chassis incorporates a Slot-it pod......this pod was actually lighter than any brass/wire system I could create, so, as light is good, it was used.

It will be covered by a Lexan Ferrari 712 CanAm body, which will only add a gram or two at most.....the bare chassis has done a few test laps ......ridiculous!!! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

It will now be sent to its new owner for atmosphere re-entry simulations :D

Cheers
Chris Walker

PS Since these shots were taken, the motor shafts have been trimmed, a center ground rear axle installed, and the front axle tube has had its top take off.....should save another gram!! ;)

Last edited by chrisguyw on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Magnuts!!...or Ground control to Major Tom

Postby Radarek » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Well.... another beauty. ..
Chris -your and Dennis work is pushing me to try and make one.
Chassis you did for group 5 car and how much power you have from piranha motor suprise me.

Best regards Dariusz aka radarek :text-bravo:
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Show and Go!

Magnets for 'weight' without the mass - looks light in the nose, but I guess it stays stuck.

Always enjoy the quality builds you post up.

Thanks -
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Audi1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 pm

From "Space Oddity" to a very interesting spacial design. I'll bet it tears up the track!

Are you sure you have the magnets placed optimally? The rules said only two Slot.It magnets, but it didn't say where they needed to be placed, did it?

Another winner!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop