[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 2017 HRW All Scale Build -off!

2017 HRW All Scale Build -off!

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

2017 HRW All Scale Build -off!

Postby btaylor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Had another mad scientist idea over the last week or so. I want to propose an all scale build off competition. That would showcase the build process from start to finish. The idea is to pick a car of any scale, and any type of racing, and photograph the building steps from start to finish. The builds will be entered into a poll on HRW for all the members to vote for the best overall build.
This is kind of like a proxy without ever mailing anything anywhere. The newcomer's to the hobby will benefit greatly from all the build styles and mediums used, and we as builders end up with a car we will actually use in the future, rather than one built specifically for a proxy race that may or may not be used again.
Shotgun Dave said he would help me set up the polling page, and the admin side of things, and the rest will be up to the builders to post good clear pictures and info during their builds.
Let me hear what you all think, and I will get started on the specifics.

Bob
Last edited by btaylor on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: 2017 All Scale Build -off!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Of course you can count me in. I will just wait on the details to be announced.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 2017 HRW All Scale Build -off!

Postby glasshorsevh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:04 pm

I could make a go of it as long as the deadline is far enough out. Not sure anyone would learn anything other than what not to do from a Tiny Alice build, but we do try.

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Nice idea, I'm in.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Looks like some interest! I am working on some ideas for the build off, hope to post a date and some loose guidelines soon. This will be fun, so a due date will be a ways off (no pressure). Might give some of us a bit to do during the cold months?

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi bob, I would be happy to join in.....but, I will be away until mid/late Feb. so I won't be able to contribute until then.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Sounds like a good time, count me in!
I do mostly simple chassis but that can still be good for the newcomers I guess.

Besides, I have several projects that need to make progress. ....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:43 pm

If its way later in the year, I'm likely to be in this one, but I'm buried right now. I already decided that I'll just send a car in for the ShowMe and not risk the time it takes to do what I want to do to show off.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby btaylor » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:48 am

Rob, I am thinking it will take most of the year to get all the builds in. I can set a due date for Next fall or something like that. I want this to be educational and FUN. not a high pressure chore to do. If each car build had its own thread, we could add pics and info as we go. then when all are done, we can set up the voting poll.
That should give any new builders time to catch up on the process, and gather any tools/parts they may need to do a build. Just a thought? I am hoping this project will bring out everything from brass to 3D, and plastic to resin body's. It will also give us a chance to promote existing build threads by putting a link in our posts to the ones already on the board. (building a stinker chassis) body casting, etc.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby clivearmstrong74 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:47 am

Hi Bob,

This sounds super cool, please I would like to enter as well. I'm new to the scratch building thing, so I would like to see all the different styles of building.

Cheers
Clive
clivearmstrong74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:00 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby CrockettNZ » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:01 pm

I am in
I have only done 2 brass chassis builds so far
but hooked on them now

I also play around with modifying plastic chassis so may do one of each
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:08 pm

That would be great! The more varied build types we get, the more info gets shared.
It will be the little things that we all do that will make a difference I think.
This should be a lot of fun and very inspiring!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby bdsharp » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:08 am

I don't know if I'll get a project spun up for this, but I will for sure be watching everyone's progress and techniques. I expect plenty of material to go into my Stolen Ideas vault.
bdsharp
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:26 pm

Well I spent them morning clearing up my shop and work space.( Long overdue) So I am all set up now to get ready for this build off. Even if my build stalls this has already been a success in my books as it motivated me to do the shop cleaning!!!!!
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop