[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1950 Oldsmobile - Finished 04/05

1950 Oldsmobile - Finished 04/05

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

1950 Oldsmobile - Finished 04/05

Postby MoparGreg » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Im trying to get all my WIPs finished up & heres another one that was painted 12 months ago. Its a 1/25 Revell 1950 Oldsmobile. Its painted in Model Master Citrus Yellow Metallic & Model Master Phoechian yellow. Strange combo but I was using 2 Original colors as a guide. Plans for this one is Low with Whitewalls.

Initial inspiration was this -

Heres where Im up to -

Last edited by MoparGreg on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1950 Oldsmobile

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:10 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:50 pm

That is a SWEET looking color combo!
And being an Olds fan - you DEFINITELY have my attention!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby MoparGreg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:29 am

Thanks for the comments guys. Ill hopefully get this one done quite quickly.

Great story Rob. Thanks for sharing!
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Time sure flies by. Cant believe I started this back in November last year. Theres been a bit of 1/25 building happening in the forums of late so I thought I better keep things rolling. I got the foil work done yestarday & sprayed on a coat of clear. Next up to add bumpers lights etc. Then onto the interior & chassis!

I want to start a few Darkside stocker builds soon, but trying to finish a few unfinished projects that have been hanging around.

MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1950 Oldsmobile - Updated 03/12 Foil work done

Postby btaylor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 am

Awesome foil work Greg! I just cant do that stuff. I keep trying, but no good results. I end up painting all my chrome trim by hand.
Hats off to you for being able to do such nice work.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby strangebrew » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:43 am

Got a "Rocket 88" engine to put in it?
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. Bob, don't be scared of foiling. I used to paint all my trim as well but I persaviered with it. Im always learning when applying foil & now have a method that works for me.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby loosewheel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Foiling does take a bit of practice, but I will never go back. I do my 1/32 cars also and it looks great. If you love cars from the fifties, it's definitely a skill worth mastering. Your' s looks fabulous!
loosewheel
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Very nice Greg!!!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby MoparGreg » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Getting closer. Got most of the body finished up & onto the interior. Using the kit interior but I have modified it to clear the motor. Still have a few minor bits to touch up on body. Im waiting of urethane to arrive to cast up some white walls for this.

MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1950 Oldsmobile - Updated 03/16

Postby SuperSlab » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Beautiful! I am particularly impressed with the foil/chrome: it just takes it to the next level.

Great artistry: thanks for the eye candy.

ALwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi guys, Thanks for the feedback.

Dave, Yes I cast whitewall tires. Ive been casting whitewalls for 4 years or so now. I started making them as I couldn't get them anywhere. My first whitewalls were rather crude but my newest ones I'm super happy with. The white part of the tire is cast seperate. So the tire is in 2 parts & you glue it together. I use white tint for the white part, black tint for the black part.

A few photos below of one of my masters showing the tire in 2 parts to suit a narrowed H&R wheel. Ive spent a bit of time on this one. The H&R wheel is 1/24 & tires to suit are essentially 1/24 on a 1/25 car they looked to big for my 50s street cars. What Ive done is hollowed out the inside of a 1/25 tire so it fits on the H&R wheel. The white part is not hollowed out & covers the outer rim of the H&R wheel. When the wheel insert is inserted in the wheel it sits flush with the face of the tire, not the wheel. Hope that makes sense.

Its the same tire on the 41 Plymouth I finished recently

Last edited by MoparGreg on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:34 pm

They really do wonders for a jalopy racer as front tires. I will definitely be keeping the whitewall from one of the Hudson kits for that purpose.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: 1950 Oldsmobile - Finished 04/05

Postby MoparGreg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:46 am

Ok Im calling this car done. Fun build, great kit. All that is left to do is tune the chassis & run some laps which I hope to do tomorrow night. Ill also take some video as these cars are a blast running around the track. Chassis is MJK with H&R wheels narrowed. Wheels out of the 54 Hudson kit were turned down as inserts. I had an old Plaifit Fox 2 motor sitting around so I installed that. So this car is going to be a handful on those skinny tires.

MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop