Scratchbuilding - Sharing the Hobby Within A Hobby

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Scratchbuilding - Sharing the Hobby Within A Hobby

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:06 am

Have been in some good offline discussions with a few folks and most of it centers around all the custom building they are seeing. Not everyone is interested in scratchbuilding of course, but more and more people are stepping into this area and I for one am glad to see it.

It is a hobby within a hobby. In fact it is a much smaller one that resides in an already small hobby. In today's world it seems we see less and less people who are willing to build. I used to think that myself, but don't bet the farm on it. Just because you don't see it online doesn't mean there are aren't people out there doing it. Some are just not into social media and they sit back and simply read what the rest of us share.

To ask why we scratchbuild? Because it's fun. Everyone has different reasons why they do it, but in the end it is the fun we have. The old phrase "Necessity is the mother of invention" relates in this world. many of us scratchbuild because we want certain models to race and the only way to get them is to build them ourself.

One of the reasons scratchbuilding in 1/32 has grown is parts availability. From wheel choices to a staggering amount of tires, we have it much better than just 10 years ago. Our wonderful internet is mostly to thank as companies from all around the globe are easily accessed, and our little slot car jewelry is only a few clicks away from going into our little pixel shopping cart and on it's way to us.

Advances in Technology. Thanks to 3D printing our custom world is literally blowing up. Without it, look at how many chassis and parts would not be with us? Even Slot.it has thier own 3D shop. Just cruising Shapeways and seeing the companies created everything from basic chassis to compete cars should give you an idea. But that technology is only as good as the people designing and producing what we want or need.

In fact I am going to dive into it. As I look at my own system and options, it's quite a motivating road to travel.

And it will be the true enthusiasts who make the difference. Ones that actually KNOW what our fellow builders want/need. Every year at this time I get bombarded with "Hi I am such and such and I am making an all new (fill in the blank) that is the best ever". Most times it's coming from someone who has no idea what this hobby is or even invloved in it. A friend of a friend who has money to start it is who you get and usually the product is nothing we need...or wanted. Just someone trying to make a quick buck off my fellow enthusiasts and I assure you I do my best to ignore them :)

But there are a handful that ARE among us that are making things we need and going forward. I fully support them and hope we see more toys we actually need.

Sharing the work and the fun of building is very important to me. I would love to see more of you taking the time to record and share what you are doing. It's the best way to help those newcomers who have plenty of questions.

So if you need assistance in doing that, let me know. I can help you with photos or even create a full web page.

I persoanlly have a full bench. From 1/32 oval and road racers to coming back to 1/25th scale where my building actually began.

What inspires you? What are the projects you enjoy the most? Just repaints? Full rebuilds of exisitng models?

If you are sitting on the bleachers, time to come off the bench :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Scratchbuilding - Sharing the Hobby Within A Hobby

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:25 am

Great post H !
Scratch building gives me much enjoyment, turning out a unit from strips raw of materials, and see it race around the track. But for those looking on, even with a step by step build, with pictures. There are things that need to be acquired, purchased, and practiced for the new builder to get going. I think for this is a reason, a lot shy away from dipping in. Some skills still have to be somewhat mastered as in soldering, measuring, deciding mounting procedures,getting your clearances figured out, guide height... I just think it`s a little overwhelming for people looking on, but it's doable for anyone with the enthusiasm and confidence to try. But along with the wide variety of jewelry/parts to make cars better, I think things are way easier than back in the so called "heyday" because we have tools that were not available to the masses before. For instance, affordable honeycomb plates for squaring things up, dremels with any tip you could dream of, soldering tools that fit any need, not to forget any building material in any shape/size. Hell I remember trying to cut fenders out on my HO cars for bigger tires with a hobby knife. What`s really great about this hobby within the hobby, is it doesn't take a wad of cash to just try it. A person don`t have to put out a piece of fine china, all that has to happen is see it go ! From there things get better and better, and before you know it. There isn't anything more enjoyable, other than sharing with others, and for that matter, building someone first chassis with them. The 3D age is definitely here to stay, and I'm sure it will get better and better. I prefer to model by hand, because my type/era of race car (short track oval cars) are normally a creation of the guy in the garage. I raced in the short track scene, and built my own cars, so I will remain the guy in the garage.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby 4424ever » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:32 am

Are you sure you can handle the onslot of that offer Harry. My personal draw back is posting pics I've dealt with Photobucket and found it to be a pain I have to say I much preferred posting pics on the old board
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks guys.

Well you still need to host your photos. No way around it. I do however have a photo hosting option we have built. Only offer it to those that need a place to store photos and KNOW they won't go away.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby CrockettNZ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:12 pm

hi
I love scratch building as well
It combines my old love and hobby of building static display models and the love of slot car racing

can't beat the joy of building a car and then getting to drive it instead of just putting it on a shelf to get dusty

I have built my first brass chassis for my brass-am challenge trans-am car
not the flashest looking thing as I need to get a better soldering iron and get more practice at the soldering
this car should be finished and ready for sending to Harry after this weekend

I know a guy here in my home town that scratch builds cars to such a high standard it will blow your mind away
CrockettNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:09 pm

Excellent post Harry.
I am one of those newer builders, now that fall is here I am hoping to ramp up builds and hope to capture my progress. I've found the advice and sharing of info so great in this forum that I want to return the favor.

Some of my stuff will be 'copies' of work already done, but I'm OK with showing it as a 'you can too' type post. Building is fun, painting and decaling more so for me as it takes me back to plastic model building.

Cheers!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Total agreement. Just got into scratch building chassis, casting bodies and modeling again the past three years. The reward of doing it yourself is priceless. If I could only keep a dozen slot cars, they would be my home builts.

Don't despair and hold back if you don't have the great tools and dedicated work space. My tool box includes a 50 year old single speed Dremel drill, 12v re-chargeable DeWalt drill, variable wattage soldering iron bought on sale for $18 from Princess Auto, Harbour Freight mini cut off saw, honeycomb soldering board from a jewelry supply outfit and an assortment of smaller tools. I work on a dining room table, bedroom desk and bench in the garage. When I paint a body, I go outside to the house patio (summer) or apartment balcony (winter).

I'd like better tools and space, but just make do.

Never experienced the "heyday", but this is a pretty good time.

Build on.

Dan

P.S. Also helps to have great clubmates. Luf and Mike G. in GVSCC let you use their space and tools, unconditionally. Retro Racer's foray into metal chassis and casting got me into that facet. TF1250's scratch builds always have an interesting twist and especially beautiful finishes.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:27 pm

A very good topic indeed. I enjoy seeing others builds and although I'm a 'kit basher' rather than a 'scratch builder' I do enjoy the results and get to race cars that aren't widely available. Some day I may pluck up the courage to have a go at scratch building.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Great read, Harry!
I was 17 soldering brass tubing and wire to build Dodge Hussein's that today are about as quick as old Flexi's.
26D $3.00 Mabuchi's with a brass rear axle bracket that C-clipped onto the can end, remember those? Light weight and glue because it was the only way you could ever get your car to hook up. Magnets weren't dreamed of back then. In fact my 3 lane routed oval had aluminum tape using a Kal-Kar tool to lay it down.
Some of us have had a long time away from solder paste and glue. Now that urethane compounds for tires we have great rubber and we're really not fighting a HP war, either. Home Racing World keeps it all real for us.
What has been produced lately looks simple and that equates to cheap fun. For those that grew up learning the skills of racing slot cars, we had to possess a great deal more skill in building, causing many racers to drop out imo. Never perfected soldering to any great degree, either. Chassis movement snubbed my building excitement and made it too much like work. But without it, custom built chassis, you weren't competitive as we all knew who lived it.
I like what I'm seeing these days and how it's being presented with this interweb thing is as good as it gets, anywhere. All one really needs is some time to practice the skill sets and when you get to where life slows way down, time becomes more plentiful. Thanks for the inspirational post.

Like mentioned in a previous post. The chassis jigs are the best you can buy and that tells us just how serious one has to get to really make it right. It's going on the shopping list because this looks like big time fun.
Any pm suggestions on quality jigs available would be much appreciated.
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:56 pm

To me slot racing IS scratchbuilding. After my original Eldon figure eight in the early 60s, I went straight to scratch building, learning as I went, and filling a big box with trophies to boot. After 44 years off, I got back into it with Luf's group in Vancouver. The cars were different, but much better scale detail. Everyone had RTR plastic chassis and in fact the club had a no brass chassis rule.

One club member bought a dozen Kinmark VW Kombi die casts and brought them in with a challenge to make them into racers. Once I took one, the old 60s brass chassis ideas returned and before long I had "Rollover Beethoven". The die cast top of the car too heavy even for my brass chassis. But the door had been opened.

About the same time the club guys discovered proxy racing, and after a few uncompetitive plastic chassis, we were into brass chassis big time. We also changed our race format to bracket racing, so no car type had a big advantage. Away went the no brass chassis rule

The club instituted a Constructors championship, where cars with scratch built chassis were given points. I have more scratch builds than the rest so I keep winning that award, but others are catching up. The way Dan is building, I expect he will win while he is here. A racer named Duke has returned to slotting after a long time away. He raced with the club years ago but lost interest when it was all RTR cars. I expect to lose to Duke some time soon as he is also building new chassis for his plastic cars.

After years of building wonky chassis I discovered the use of the honeycomb board. It was not my invention, but it so revolutionized my building style that I have promoted it to you all. I currently have a chassis for a 1911 Mercer Raceabout pinned out and ready to solder.

Scratchbuilding gives an added level of satisfaction to the point I am less concerned about winning and happier if my car looks good. I will never be a good painter, but I have friends who need chassis and trade skills for skills.

I never reached the brass and wire rattle pan level of building, and my chassis are simpler than most. In the 60s I used Dynamic pods with brass pans, and the Slot.it and similar pods fill the same roll. I have several cars with 3d printed pods and a few with 3D printed bodies.

I am happy to see the increase in scratch building that appears to be driving the hobby forward, and I'm sure that Marty Stanley would also approve.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:53 pm

Fantastic topic Harry and great info stories from others!!! Can't say much more than what has been said except you get it all here plus more!!! I too hope to ramp up more now that fall is upon us!!!! :text-goodpost:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Well, I wouldn't know where to start and am in awe of the others on this forum. I'm thinking of starting to collect diecast... ;)

Great topic and I agree. I've moved from stock to repaints, to modeling and casting to 3d...the 3d ain't no picnic either unless you're a computer genius like CG and their great stuff. For what I want and do it still takes a good deal of finishing, but gets me a major leap in the right direction.

Brass - yeah...mine suck mostly as evidenced in multiple proxy/fun runs. Doesn't mean I don't have fun doing it though!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Dundee Denny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm

As a totally non mechanical kind of guy...............

What would I want in my scratch build tool box?
* who's and what soldering gun would be most flexible?
* who's solder and paste? Related tools, brush, and who knows what else needed??
* who's honeycomb board is best?
* who is the best supply source for "one stop" motor mounts, gears, bearings, wheels, axles and whatever else needed?
can I get most of my brass supplies at Hobby Lobby?

In my work-world, simple and uncomplicated always leads to a completed display - store.

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 pm

I started out in the early sixties with an Eldon set in a small Midwestern town. To get a slot car other that what was in a set was a real challenge unless you had a way to get to one of the larger towns and spend what seemed like loads of money to get one. So, my choice was to use the post office and postal orders and order from a hobby shop in Michigan. I would order wheels, 16d motors, etc. Then I would get a small 1/25 scale model like the Get Smart Alpine, make a chassis out of the plastic rods that held the parts in place. To cut these, I used a single edge razor blade. I ended up with a lot of cuts but I had fun with these until I went into the military and got away from the hobby until the 90"s with my kids. Anyway I went through a lot back then trying to make it out of plastic at first then Brass later on until now where I mostly model the chassis up in Inventor and then print them out on a 3d printer. In the past three years I've printed out over 70 chassis' but a lot more were failures than what were operational but that is how we learn.
Good Post Harry for it really brings back the memories in how we started in this hobby and makes us wonder why we have a period when we left the hobby for whatever reason.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 am

I started scratchbuilding because my allowance required it. Used lots of stripped copper wire, 1/8 brazing rods & Pop's Weller soldering iron.
Nobody produced the dirt cars I watched every Friday night & in my day an AMT kit was only $1.49. Cut 'em up with a hack saw blade &
bend 'em around with a match. I model better than I build & tune. The proxy results bear that out, but I'm getting better. If I wind up
with a fast car, it's usually an accident or pure luck. Scratchbuilding is just unadulterated fun for me. If you aren't good with solder, buy
a sheet of styrene, some super glue & an Xacto knife & you're good to go. Some of my faster cars are built that way. Scratchbuilding is just
letting your imagination create something. JUST MAKE IT UP AS YOU GO. :D
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop