[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - AMX "390" ready for the vintage races!!!

AMX "390" ready for the vintage races!!!

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

AMX "390" ready for the vintage races!!!

Postby Dundee Denny » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 pm

ImageImageBoyz have been complexed on this one.

The AMX shattered all sorts of records on salt, but the Boyz only concept of salt is on pretzels!

The AMX was runner up in the 1969 SCCA National Championships but couldnt' find any pictures.

The best idea was to go the traditonal blue, white and red of AMC and fake it.

Will use a Scally 69 Mustang chassis and motor to keep it raceable with the other Scally's and Avanti.

Here it isw on the truck after its primer bath.

Dundee Denny
Last edited by Dundee Denny on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: AMX "390"

Postby MoparGreg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Denny, It all looks good. Im a fan of Javelins & AMX's. I dont know if this is any help but the AMX did not run in SCCA. Its bigger brother Javelin ran. The 68/69 Javelin is larger than the AMX. I thimk the AMX was only popular in drag racing. Check out Shirly Shahan's Drag-on lady. Either way it will make a cool racer.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Greg!

Like the build of the JAvelin!!!

Check out Wikipedia and auto.howstuffworks.com and they both refer to the second place finish in the 1969 amateur sport car championship SCCA.

There has to be something to this???

Dundee Denny

With that info I googled and ended up ZERO finding out more.
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:49 pm

You learn something everyday I suppose. Im just heading out but did a quick google search. I found this -

Heres the website-
http://bringatrailer.com/2009/08/24/on- ... age-racer/

I dont know if this car is a fake or the real mccoy.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:03 am

Denny, the car that Greg found on "Bring A Trailer" might make a cool paint job. Hard to see in the pictures but red down the left and "AMC blue" down the right with a white stripe down the middle.

BTW Greg, per the commentary on BAT the car did run in SCCA back in the day.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:15 pm

This SCCA AMX intriged me so I did some more research. Check this page -

http://www.ssamx.com/1968_scca_bp_AMX.htm

Check out the olds black & white photos. Im a little annoyed now I sold off my AMXs. Looks like im in the hunt for a AMX now. I like this car
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm

This will be a cool one for sure! Who makes the body?
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby cagee13 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:26 pm

I've always wanted to pick up this body but never did. I think the boyz will do it justice.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:09 pm

That is going to be a cool ride. I would also like to know who made this body.
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cagee13 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:23 pm

cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby biedmatt » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:08 am

Seeing this makes me miss my '68 AMX. Yeah I still remember the window issues, AMC couldn't figure out how to support a frameless door window. The heater control panel broken off the dash and floating around because the plastic pins that supported it were too weak and the Carter carb that cut fuel flow when cornering hard. But it was rare and unique and the 390 made some fantastic grunt and the factory over axle traction bars delivered that grunt to the pavement well.
biedmatt

Postby dreinecke » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:00 am

Matt- neighbor had one growing up with American 200S rims and G-60 tires all around. Copper in color with black stripes. He worked over the 390 and 4-speed and it was a screamer. I got to drive it a few times and was really bummed when I couldn't come up with the cash to buy it.

As for this car - great build coming and I can't wait to see it!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: AMX "390" painting begins

Postby Dundee Denny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:51 pm

ImageImage

these two and three tone paint jobs are pretty harrowing to the Boyz!!

Two more colors to go!!

Dundee Denny

PS: appreciated the intel on the SCAA AMX's, at this point the boyz will continue on the traditional three colorway the dragsters used in 69
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: AMX "390" with some paint

Postby dreinecke » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:49 am

Looking good sofar! I've got 2 Javelins in primer awaiting their three-tone paint as well. Hope they turn out as good as yours.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: AMX "390" finishing touches

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

Boyz learned alot from this three tone, don't cheat out on the detail tape!! Real fast mover and is keeping up with the Scalley's and pioneers for the most part.

Next up for the T/A fleet is a 65 Cuda, just arrived on the flatbed, will have to forward a picture of it in the yard.

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop