Kenworth

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Kenworth

Postby cagee13 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:32 pm

This Kenworth W900 is a test run for a 1/32 slot truck I want to build. I took a Fly truck chassis and cut it in half. Mounted the front section under the hood and the trimmed up the rest of the chassis and hot glued it to the frame of the model. The rear rear axle is on a swing arm so that when the truck goes to up or down an incline the rear axle will move and not cause it to high center. The rear rear axle sits a little close to the other axle when on level track but that is why this was a test run.

cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Kenworth

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Wow, excellent!!!!

I was looking at 1/32 kits on the net last night and stumbled across an R600 Mack with a tanker trailer....

....Was thinking how it would look as scenery on the layout but the thought did cross my mind if a FLY truck chassis would fit under it!!!

Now I know, great work mate :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:23 pm

I have a 1/32 fire truck Revvell kit I thought would be neat on the actual track.

Do you have pictures of the truck bottom side up to see exactlly what you have done?
Great idea!!

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

Cool Looking semi!I too would like to see your Chassis work.

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cagee13 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Ok here is my Frankenstein chassis. Don't mind all the extra hot glue. I had to glue it all over so the cab wouldn't move.

I cut the front section off the Fly chassis and mounted 3 posts inside the hood to attach the front section to.

Here is the other half of the chassis that I narrowed to fit inside the fuel tanks and exactly the same width as the models frame. As you can see I flipped the chassis so the normal bottom section is now the top. The motor will be hanging down below.

I soldered a small piece of brass rod to a brass tube so that the rear axle can swing. I built a stop so that the rear axle couldn't swing all the way around and rub the front axle.

This pic is not very good but it shows the brass rod sticking through the models frame. I just drilled 2 holes in the plastic and just let it swing.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:38 pm

That is cool! Watch out when that comes off the track! :o
dge467
The King of Foil

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop