Mercedes 300

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Mercedes 300

Postby jmsh54 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Greetings, This is a Mercedes 300 I think. I got the resin body from a fellow in New Zealand. The body was cast for use in proxy races such as The Last Open Road. It was the body only so the parts bin is getting a good work out. Since the body was only $10.00 I made some changes to suit myself. Cut out the grill, rounded off the wheel openings, added a roll bar, filled the exhaust pipe hole and cut a new one for a side pipe, added some mirrors, cut off the molded on head lights and tail lights. Mounted the whole thing on an EJS chassis. Put in a Ninco Thruster and added some Michael Ortman tires on the rear. Have some BWA inserts that fit. Still have a pile of sanding, painting and such but here is the start. Regards, John

PS may take some time to finish this up as the snow is piling up and the lakes are starting to freeze over and I have to tune up the ice fishing gear.

jmsh54

Re: Mercedes 300

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Its hard to tell, but I think that's a Cunningham C1, a rarer body, and you made a better deal than you thought!

Usually, it has a white livery with a twin blue stripe in photos.

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:13 pm

I like it, but not sure it is a Cunningham or a Mercedes.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby smallblockhero » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 pm

either way i look forward to watching this progress. keep the pics coming mate.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 am

Greetings, It is indeed a Mercedes. Bad joke on my part. I managed to hack up a perfectly wonderful casting and make it look not like a Mercedes. That being said I have a number of fine castings from the same fellow and there is in fact a very nice Cunningham which I will not hack up to make it look like a Mercedes. Pictured below are the bodies I have collected from New Zealand.
Oh the completed cars in the background are not from New Zealand, just happened to be in the way when I collected up the bodies to take the picture.

Second and third from the left are the not Mercedes but two Cunninghams. I purchased two to give me a better chance of getting at least one to look right. :D Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 am

I have a couple of Munter's bodies as well - he does a nice job of the casting.

Where did you source the mirrors from John - they would come in handy.

What do you plan to use for headlights - I picked up some nice looking lights from Pendleslot

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:58 am

Looking good! I built a Cunningham slot car from a old Aurora kit, I wounder if that is what he made his mold from?
dge467
The King of Foil

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop