[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Track "T" Roadster brass build on a budget

Track "T" Roadster brass build on a budget

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: Track "T" Roadster brass build on a budget

Postby dge467 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:28 pm

Very good Dave!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Revver » Sat May 23, 2015 7:03 pm

Last edited by Revver on Sat May 23, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Revver

Postby ccobra » Sat May 23, 2015 8:15 pm

If you don't include the programs, equipment, or time, 3D printing is pretty cheap.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Very cool Dave!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri May 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Ditto, this really came out. That driver "sawin' on the tiller" is just great. Well done again sir.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Mitch58 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:13 pm

I like it.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri May 29, 2015 11:26 pm

That is a beaut! Plain and simple!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat May 30, 2015 8:29 am

Man Dave! That is definitely another "Winner"!
Two thumbs up sir!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby ourwayband » Sun May 31, 2015 6:10 am

Great Build Dave!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Very nice looking car, with the pics but not sure of the size, 1/25 or 1/32
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 pm

I scratch build a lot of cars and $50 is more like the budget I would figure on and that is high if I am just running a car on a small home track. First off, I find pretty good deals on chassis that can be re-used or modified or used for parts. I admit I build 1/24 so it is probably easier for me to find parts.

Cheapest chassis out there is a Womp and it works for 1/32. You have a rear axle bracket and motor bracket there, a front axle and guide flag bracket. You can cut the sides to the width you want. You can cut it in half and make it any wheelbase you want. Solder a piece of brass to the bottom to make it the right length, add some weight and it will handle pretty good for something so cheap. If you bought a complete car, you also have axles and guide flag, probably gears. Maybe you can even use the tires. For the $15-$25 you can find these for on Ebay that is a great start for parts to build something. I usually stock up on built/junk models at the local model show twice a year. I can come away with 4-5 models I might want to use as slot car bodies for $30-$40 total. I built so many 32 Ford Roadsters for the guys that I finished out one body and made a slush mold so I could make bodies for almost nothing. Maybe $20 in the mold and cost for plastic, maybe $1 each. As I silicone coat my rear tires, if they are any good at all, I can sand them and coat them for 25 cents or so, not sure how that breaks down. The silicone is about $5 a tube. I always use Chinese motors and they are around new for $8-$10. That builds a cheap, good running car.

Option 2 for 1/24 only. I have found some great deals on Ebay, recently I got some complete FCR chassis complete cars for $15 each. The same week I got 6-8 H&R's for $20 each. These were complete running chassis. Both are brass and easily cut up and re-made into whatever you want. This is guide, axles, wires, everything. Hard to get any cheaper than that.

Option 3 is buy a rear mount and brass, buy axles, wheels, tires, bushings, guide, gears, motor, wires and body. This is probably the most expensive route.

For cheap, watch Ebay and pick up an old womp.

Other frames that are good starting points are the brass Sprintsplus and this new Atomic adjustable 1/32.

P1010004.JPG

P1010036.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop