Prepping for the McKee

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Prepping for the McKee

Postby smallblockhero » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:59 pm

last nite i ordered 2 MRRC sebring chassis' to get started on my next build. im still a little vexed as to what ill do with both of them , but i know im gonna do a MK6...(cough cough ..Dave) . All i have to do now is order the body or bodies if i figure out what other car id like to do next.

grabbed 2 of these exact ones.

im really thinking im going to do Charley Hayes McKee. its a good lookin car and great guy.

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Prepping for the McKee

Postby cagee13 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Love the Sebrings and you can't go wrong putting one under David's McKee. Great choices all the way around.
cagee13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Ditto. The chassis has been a favorite of mine in the last couple of years.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby smallblockhero » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:08 pm

ordered my McKee Mk6 resin kit last nite from RMS. so now the waiting game begins. ive been in contact with Charley Hayes over recreating his car. hopefully he can help me get some info on details of his car. theres no many photos of it out there. and theres a lot of lettering that isnt clear enough to decipher.

technically is a Mk7 but whatever.well fix that.

picked up this lot off ebay last nite for 20 bucks too... imagine the possibilities!
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Order in the mold, Sir!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby smallblockhero » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks Dave. im very eager to see and start on it. this is going ot be fun. i even went out today and grabbed decal paper to make the graphics with photoshop..lol. im prepped and ready. wheels might be an issue however. the search for those has begun.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:10 pm

That's a heck of a win on the lot for $20. I see both types of Ford J Car bodies in there, and have watched them go for $20 a piece on their own.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smallblockhero » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:28 pm

aint it? i was shocked i won it! not to mention the 1968 McKee body... now i can make charley hayes bookend bodies. plus a chappy and some lolas... geez im gonna be busy. ill have to 3 cans of oven cleaner to get the paint off of those cars.

this also comes with the lot of bodies... dont know what it is.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:39 pm

Cox "super Scale" 1/43 Chevelle - note how similar the chassis is to today's TSRF chassis. Looks like that one has the rear traction magnet. They produced six cars; Chevelle stock car, Matador stock car, '72-ish Eagle indycar, '74 McLaren M16 indycar, Porsche 911 and Datsun 240/260Z. Actually pretty advanced stuff for the 70s, good running chassis and the bodies were really well done and very light for injection molded parts. Sadly Cox made a really poor "investment" by buying the molds for the Eldon track and used it in these sets sold in the mid-70s. Today these are kinda cool but an odd scale and not too collectible.
KnowtoriousWon

Postby smallblockhero » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:10 pm

i dont believe its the same car. charlie had a small issue with it at some point.

smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:50 am

Greetings, now that picture makes you want to shed a tear. Like your $20 pick up. Looks like much fun to had there. Regards, John
jmsh54

Postby smallblockhero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 am

it is possible that it is the same chassis. i mean who knows..these cars have been rebuilt from the ashes before. if it is ...it must be made from a few other cars and a lot of parts though. you can see the rear torn from the car on the right , the tub looks destroyed in my eyes, along with at least 50% of the body work.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:31 am

Okay, I'm confused. There are two McKees in the photo. Which one are you building? The best way I know to tell them apart is that the light blue squared off one nearest the camera is a McKee Oldsmobile, and the more conventional design could be Chrysler, Chevy or Ford engines.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby smallblockhero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 am

the olds powered one with charleys name on the rear flanks. ill fab the rear spoiler and supports. that more closely mimics the body that dave has and to me looks the best anyway. besides... i love the olds powered cars.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 pm

The Mark 6 and 7 shared the same basic body. The 7 had more dodads hanging on it. Mak Kronn had a 6. I saw Kronn destroy his and wondered how he lived.
Last edited by ddyke on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop