High Boy chassis "How To"

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

Re: High Boy chassis "How To"

Postby tin_indians » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:45 pm

ShotgunDave wrote:Here's a shot of the very same chassis. Just wanted to show what's possible. The only thing added here is the bar work.

If I can do it, so can anyone. I really hope it helps some of you teetering on the edge, to jump in. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Dave...you have to divulge how you got those beautiful sweeping curves in your brass front bumper and side nerf bars without kinking them.
tin_indians

Postby ShotgunDave » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks for the compliment but there's no secret. You have to use solid stock, not tubing. Tubing will kink every time. Then you have to bend it around something round. I use screwdriver handles, Testors paint bottle lids, anything really. As long as it's round and has the diameter I'm looking for.

It's really simple.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby tin_indians » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:49 am

Hahaha...you're right. If I had thought a little more I probably have come to that conclusion of solid stock too. All I was thinking was hollow stuff to save weight. :oops:
I have started on my project '32 Roadster...lol, only de-soldered the front axle 4 times and re-attached it. I found very quickly my Weller soldering gun wasn't putting out the heat needed. So I'm using my bottle propane torch with the valve barely cracked open so its not a blow torch. I'm waiting for some parts to come so I can progress more in determining where to mount the motor mount.
tin_indians

Postby ShotgunDave » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see it done!
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby bill from nh » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 pm

tin_indians wrote: I found very quickly my Weller soldering gun wasn't putting out the heat needed. So I'm using my bottle propane torch...

Your Weller gun ought to be putting out enough heat to solder most anything, other than a lot of 1/16" thick sheet brass. I'd check the copper tip to make sure it's not burnt out, but is clean & tight, While not as cheap as they once were, new tips can usually be found in hardware stores, home centers, & online places such as eBay & Amazon. If you check out You Tube, you'll find videos on how to make your own tips from 12 gage &14 gage copper wire (stuff like your home is wired with).
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Dave, what prep did you do to the body to get ready for paint?..Please tell me you didn't sand every nook and cranny.
tin_indians

Postby ShotgunDave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:08 pm

tin_indians wrote:Dave, what prep did you do to the body to get ready for paint?..Please tell me you didn't sand every nook and cranny.

I usually scrub the body under like warm water with a scuff pad and Comet cleanser. Rinse and dry it good then prime it. Once that's dry, I sand it with 500 grit paper with water, rinse and dry again, then paint it. Never had any trouble doing it that way.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Previous

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop