SCC body post repair kit in new build

In honor of one of the best slot car builders in our hobby.
Share your chassis & scratchbuilt artwork here.

SCC body post repair kit in new build

Postby Mickey thumbs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 pm

The SCC body post repair kit is great for the old fashioned wood block body mounting technique. I mounted a static kit Corvette body on a brass pan chassis using their 1b set. Drilled & countersunk the screw holes in the pan. Then drilled 1/8” holes in wood blocks, countersunk to allow flange of threaded acceptor to sit flush. Secured in block with a bit of epoxy. Blocks glued to the inside of door panels. Allows for unlimited removal / replacement of body. Very clean!
Mickey thumbs

Re: SCC body post repair kit in new build

Postby 73emgee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:49 am

Any pictures???

Thanks
73emgee
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mickey thumbs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Will post some tomorrow.
Mickey thumbs

Postby Mickey thumbs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Here are pics of the post repair pieces and how I used them in my '63 Vette build.
Mickey thumbs

Postby bill from nh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

That body repair kit worked nicely for your application. Am I correct in assuming that '63 Vette body is 1/32nd scale? If you don't mind, could you sometime also post a topside photo of your brass pan chassis? I have a chassis fetish & like to see what's going on topside too. :text-thankyouyellow:
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mickey thumbs » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Yes, bill. It is a 1/32 scale amt static model with a one piece body I picked up at the local Hobby Lobby. The chassis uses a slot.it SW pod as I wanted it to be competitive with other cars in their Classic series and it is. Only my second scratch build since returning to the hobby, but I’ll post a picture tomorrow.
Mickey thumbs

Postby Mickey thumbs » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:06 am

Bill, the car with body weighs 78 grams and is a few grams heavier than my Classics with lead added. Lap times are very competitive with the rest of the group. Simple design, rough build technique and much room for improvement in soldering, but the end result is satisfactory and much better than my first scratch build. Loads of fun!
Mickey thumbs

Postby bill from nh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Mickey, thanks for the additional chassis photos. As time goes on, you'll find that the more you build, the better you'll get. But always keep in mind that you don't race looks, you win a race by how well your car handles. It sounds like this one drives just fine. <lOL> If you ever become concerned about this car's weight, you got plenty of sheet brass for drilling lightening holes. Likewise, you could always use holes & lead if you wanted/needed to change its weight distribution around. I did find the other photos of your Vette body in the other thread. I don't go to Hobby Lobby often, but next time i'm there, I'll check out their model car kits.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Marty Stanley Scratchbuilders Shop