[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Professor Motor Guides

New Professor Motor Guides

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Re: New Professor Motor Guides

Postby mikeinclover » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:22 pm

The main thing I do not like about these is that to install them in a Slot it or NSR you have to enlarge the guide flag hole in the chassis. I do not like to remove material from the weakest part of a chassis. I think I will stay with the SICH07. I did like a few of the ideas in the design, I would like to see one made with a smaller shaft to fit other cars.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Good point. I did not try these as I am happy with the guides in the those models.

Thanks for adding to this with important information.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Foamy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:43 pm

What is the post diameter on these?
Foamy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:04 pm

3.50 mm.

According to PM: This guide is manufactured with a maximum possible post diameter to achieve the best possible fit in the widest range of applications. This will require in many cars opening up the chassis guide hole slightly to get this guide to fit and rotate smoothly. The easiest way to achieve this is to use a conventional twist drill and twist this BY HAND in the chassis to remove the small amount of plastic needed. The ideal size twist drill for this is a #25 size which is 0.1495” (3.797mm) diameter
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Harry - appreciate the background info! One question though - wouldn't it be best to use a #28 or 9/64" bit verses the #25? (they would be equivalent to a roughly 3.56mm / .1406") - or is it better to have a the additional play in the bore to allow the guide to rock a little?
(I have always set my guides up pretty snug to the bore / never tried running one "loose" - maybe I am missing a handling trick/tip here!)
Any insight would be appreciated! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:51 pm

I agree with you Todd. Just printing the advice from PM. I cannot say I take much stock in trying to precise match these guides using a drill#. My calipers come up with sizes of 3.50 - 3.52 for the 20 times or so I measured them. Both plastic and wood.

This is why I used a rat tail file and not a drill bit as I prefer to sand/file and then test fit. I have always used this method as a drill bit recommendation may not be that accurate.

I set up my guides to to turn freely without excess slop. I just tighten the screw until it feels secure with no side to side free-play when I grab the blade. But not too tight. Binding in the guide is not your friend.

I tested it in a B-Nova adapter and it fit perfect without sanding.

The Slot.it line of guides works though and has for years. Easier on the wallet too. I still have the Slot.it's and will keep on using them.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:57 pm

OK - sounds like the way I set mine up - nice rotational freedom but no side to side / front to back play. :)
Thank you for the clarification and sorry that I didn't catch that it was just a copy and paste of their info...
That is one thing that I absolutely love about this site though - people are GREAT about sharing detailed info like that - most of which isn't available on the manufacture's site or anywhere else! Save a lot of "hmmm... should I buy one of those to "try" or not..." quandaries. :)
Thanks again for the clarification!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby The Old Jaybird » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Rather than enlarging the hole in the chassis, why not lightly sand the post of the guide??? I measured the post on a Slot.It guide and it measures .140". Side note....may have missed it....but what is the price on these guides?

TOJ
The Old Jaybird

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Well I just returned from my "Test & Tune Day" at our club.

I ordered a couple of the new Professor Motor guide flags and installed one of them on my Slot.It Ferrari 312PB.

How did it work? Outstanding!

The Ferrari is now one of my most "planted" Slot.It Classic cars. I am able to drive it deeper into a corner then ever before. I like them a lot.

In the very near future I will be changing out the guide flags on a couple more of my "race" cars so that they work very well on our MDF track.

Thanks for the tip Harry.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby UglyBagofMostlyWater » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:34 am

Is a B.Nova adapter required for this to work on a newer Scalextric car?
UglyBagofMostlyWater

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:56 am

Yes, but I wouldn't bother anymore.

Scaleauote and Sloting plus make better guides and almost half the price.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slothead » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Can you post a link to where they are available? I put Monogram guides on a bunch of builds in the past and the clip on the braids drags on the rails. I've been meaning to upgrade and now would be a good time. The chassis are mostly from Scalexctric cars, Mustangs and Camaros, used under RMS resin or model bodies.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:31 pm

If still available you should be able to locate them on Professor Motor's website.

An alternative is the Scaleauto guides or you could try the Sloting Plus Universal guides.
Last edited by Dangermouse on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:23 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Previous

Return to The Slot Car Garage