"Parts Bin" Pioneer Mustang

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

"Parts Bin" Pioneer Mustang

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 pm

This "old" car has seen a lot of use. It has been the test vehicle for different motors and setups, so it has seen some hard racing. I cracked the chassis under the rear bushings and the front guide was pretty worn. It has sat in the old boneyard for awhile waiting for me to give it some much needed attention. With some different spares laying about that needed a home, it was finally time.

My goal was to create a milder mannered pony car to run with the other classics we have been building in HRWJim's series. I knew the MT RACING classic motor would work, but not sure on the gears. I used Slot.it 6.75mm 11 tooth pinion with a 19mm 36 Spur. Still had to trim the motor mounts a little to scoot it back just a shade. Worked great setting the mesh this way, and just used a bead of hot glue to secure it.

Also used the B NOVA guide for Carrera/SCX. I did this just to see if it would work, not really a needed fix. It does work great though and the fit is smooth and has almost zero free-play.

Used Slot Car Corner 15x8 insert wheels and MT RACING inserts. I did turn down a set of Pioneer wheels but I broke them getting too heavy handed. Paul Gage 21105 tires and of course a little added white dottage.

It runs great on our smaller track. No, it isn't a road rocket...not intended to be. Simply tuned for even running on smaller layouts like ours and others we visit.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: "Parts Bin" Pioneer Mustang

Postby HRWJim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:46 pm

I like it, I will re-motor one as well. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:18 pm

A 7.5mm NSR anglewinder pinion (7112) would have allowed you to avoid modifying the mounts to move the motor. I run the NSR pinion with the 1936 Slot.It spur on all of my Pioneer builds. For some reason it is just perfect. Lucky I guess

If people have QS motors (large P in centre of can) and find them too fast I am happy to swap them for the old SS motors (small P)! I have a few lying around, but then there's the problem of the international postage. They are slower though. The SS is a true 18K at 12V. The QS is more like a 20K at 12V - the speed was increased due to the dodgy ratings on Scalextric '18K' motors.

I really like the wheel inserts. I'll have to get some of these insert wheels for my Jerry Titus Mustang. Do the inserts fit a 15x11 wheel as well?

As you say you've been driving this one very hard I'd say you are lucky to have not broken those front axle mounts. I would recommend bracing them with styrene card and square rod (I have posted a photo of my bracing somewhere here). Once that it is done the car should be very sturdy. Once you break the front mounts it is a real pain to fix without a jig.

Also, the cracked chassis problem can result from the rear bushing mounts on these cars being very tight. I use the cutter in the SCC bushing alignment kit to clean those up the first time I pull the rear axle out. It's also possible to crack the chassis if you glue the bushings or motor in and then decide to change them. I have broken the front lug off the front axle mounts on my Titus Mustang this way. Thankfully though with the bracing and rear lug in place I could line up the bushings properly and glue in Sloting + Victor bushings
Burglar

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks guys.

Yes, I am sure the NSR gears would work, thanks for the tip. I used what I had on hand to make it work. I am going to add some NSR gears in the future for some other builds.

I have not broken any front axle mounts. Even with standard (stock) motor cars I have had some pretty bad crashes and have not had an issue with those. In fact, you might be the first I have heard of such an issue? Perhaps it is I am running non-magnet at stock or lower speeds and never over 12 volts? Or maybe I need to get out more :)

Not sure when or how the chassis cracked near the bushings. Never glued them in before. I chalk it up to normal as it has had many swaps. We tested a fair amount of motors for Jules back then, on different tracks.

Thanks for the advice though and motor offer. I stocked up on MT's for this series, so I am good for now.

EDIT: Yes sir, the inserts will fit any of the SCC 15 wheels. Just sand lightly by hand to remove any flash molding and they press fit nicely.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Burglar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:00 pm

I've hit the corners hard a few times. Also being silly enough to remove and replace the front tyres without removing the body from the chassis usually puts enough strain on the axle mounts that the next time you hit something one snaps.

Cheers for the info on the wheels! They look really good.
Burglar

Return to The Slot Car Garage