[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Monogram Hurtubise Plymouth build

Monogram Hurtubise Plymouth build

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Monogram Hurtubise Plymouth build

Postby Burglar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:48 am

I've started work on my second Monogram classic stock car, this time the USAC #56 1966 Plymouth as raced by Jim Hurtubise.

As everyone seems to be developing their own way of building these I will share what I have learned, and am learning, regarding these cars. Some of the mods I made to my Wendell Scott Fairlane are being omitted here, while others could have also been omitted in retrospect. The mods are largely intended to remove wheel hop and body roll problems that one finds in these cars on wood tracks.

One change that I have made is to set the car up first with the rear magnet box in place and then when done grind off that box to provide track clearance. Ride height is being set by literally placing the magnet box on the set up block and then moving the rear axle up. To cut the chassis to allow this I basically patiently hand-turned the cutter (I believe it is a Dremel mower blade sharpening tool) supplied in the SCC Slot.It bushing alignment tool kit to change the key hole shape into a slot. The bushing can then be moved up and glued into place. I am certainly not the first person to do this.

I have ground away the edges of the chassis to improve float but I overdid it a bit. Pretty much all of the grinding of the edges of the chassis besides the front, rear, and side edges does not appear to have been necessary, but I copied what someone else has done. Looking at where the chassis rubs at least on this body a lot of it wasn't necessary. The tool I used made it very fast though. All of the grinding operations on the chassis have been completed with either a large or small 3M sanding drum on a 1/8" or 3/32" shank mandrel in a Foredom SR flexshaft tool. This allows very low speeds, down to 500RPM or so. The only mod to the interior besides some light sanding at the rear to ensure chassis clearance was to remove the interior and glass from the body and then cut the area of the 'glass' between the four lugs on the 'roof' with the small sanding drum, leaving the front and rear windows connected by a small strip on either side. The four lugs were also removed to make sure it would sit flat against the roof when re-assembled. This was not done in the interest of moving the interior up in the body but rather to remove some weight from the highest point in the car and thus improve the CG a little. This is another reason why I didn't bother to lighten the floor of the interior, as it is below the motor centreline.

The most important mod besides the rear axle is the motor mount. The stock motor has been replaced with a Pioneer QS Typhoon to provide better braking on road race circuits. The gears have been replaced with an NSR 7.5mm 12 tooth pinion and a Slot.It 18mm 35 tooth spur. In order to fit this pinion/spur combination at the new axle height the axle mounts had to be ground away a little to enable the motor to be moved forward. The motor will be hot-glued in place. On the previous car I used a 6.75mm pinion which meant that the motor had to be moved back but this raised clearance problems with the Slot.It bushings and meant that the normal long pinion shaft on the bell had to be cut off to clear the tyre. Moving it forward rather than back meant that everything cleared and makes soldering the wire near the chassis a little simpler. By not cutting the motor shaft I can always put into a Pioneer or Scalextric car later if I want

The rear axle and bushings will be Slot.It and the rear wheels SCC 15x8 steel wheels. At the moment I am test fitting the ones from my Fairlane, hence the black paint. The final ones will be painted to match the front wheels.

At the front I have raised the axle using some styrene card. I'm not sure how thick it is, maybe 15 thou. I took it from an Evergreen assortment pack that I have laying around. I place the card under the axle box between it and the chassis mounts. Holes are drilled in the card to match the standard holes (using a Tamiya Handy Drill). I expect the front ride height to lift very slightly once the guide and braids are in. The whole car will be rewired with NSR wire and a Slot.It or Sloting Plus screw fit guide and SCC braids installed up front, but that has not been done yet (it is very straightforward but the axle box has been cut with the sanding drum to enable access to the top of the guide for the screw and also to run the wires over the top of the axle box.

I have not modified the body posts at all and do not intend to do so. I'm happy with the height achieved with the axle mods and do not want to cut the interior more or weaken the body mounts. Removing the extra layer of clear plastic under the roof probably improves the weight distribution nearly as much and I always end up placing lead in the belly of these anyway.

Here are some photos. The Goldsmith Plymouth is not modified and is just in one photo for a ride height comparison.

Burglar

Re: Monogram Hurtubise Plymouth build

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:19 am

Looking good, really good. These cars deserve the attention :)

Appreciate you taking the time to write this up.

I have some new bushings to try myself for lowering one. Thanks for the tips.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Burglar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:28 am

No worries.

One reason why I switched to 18mm spurs on these is that I can use a broader range of tyre circumferences. Ratio is 12/35 but I can lower the ratio by reducing the tyre circumference, e.g. to a 1403 Yellow Dog (the ones in the photo are 1404s).

Also the NSR pinions are lovely things, I just love the way they sound!

P.S. I forgot to mention that I used Gorilla Glue (CA) to glue the interior back in. It does not seem to gas and thus did not fog the windows. I just put a large drop on each of the four lugs. Hopefully it holds. Otherwise I'm not that happy with this glue: it seems to take a very long time to set, and it is too thick for jobs like gluing bushings in. It's very handy for this application though, as long as you are prepared to hold the parts together for a good while.
Burglar

Postby nhdungeonracer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 am

Excellent write up :dance:

Can't help but notice that you've done some grinding on the chassis. I presume it's to help body float.
Since you're handy with the dremel, I would take it to the "cups" where the body posts mount to the chassis. Removing these "cups" will help the body float even more. Just remove the outer edges, leaving it flat across the top.

Here's a pic to show what I'm talking about (chassis is from a Scaleauto Radical)
The front mount still has the "cup" (between the guide and axle) Since it's not being used, I've not bothered with it.
The mount behind the axle has been modified (the outer edges removed). Body is now able to float more freely.
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:49 am

Man, I bet that is the smoothest one of these has ever been. I regeared a car a couple of years ago with NSR gears, and I couldn't believe the change. For almost everything we run it is illegal, but since I haven't been able to go race with the guys for months (new meeting time that is impossible), I have been doing whatever I want with cars for the summer. I went back to that car I did the NSR gearing in, and found that it is still smoother than the ones I am polishing and realigning now.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:01 am

Here is the sanding I did as Dickie mentions:

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:03 am

Hey Mr. Burglar...I am going to move this to the Garage sir.

We need more in there, so please don't be offended.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Burglar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 am

Burglar

Postby dreinecke » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:17 pm

Nice work!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Burglar » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:20 am

The cutter from this set is what I used to open up the bushing slots. 3/16" diamond coated burr with a 1/8" shank.

http://www.slotcarcorner.ca/products/Bu ... Parts.html

I find this one of the best tools I have, I used it on every car. Be careful though not to try forcing the gage through the bushings, or you will dig a little notch in the gage and then it won't work any more. I can only insert mine from one end now because of this. It still works, I just have to hold on to the damaged end and insert the other end.

EDIT: Today I ground off the lips from the body mounts on the chassis. Also I attempted to fit a Sloting Plus guide. It would seem to be a very tight fit, and I will need to open the post hole up a bit. All of my 9/64" drill bits seem to be broken or missing though ...
Burglar

Postby FootScoot » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:56 am

I have redone a few of these cars. I haven't figured out the reasoning behind the on its side motor mounting. Seems to me the lower the weight the better it would handle. They do tend to be a little top heavy too. They don't make it easy to fit wider rear tires either, but they look great. I can work around any handling problems with weight removal up high, and added weight down low. All in all I like these cars, and hope they continue with them. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:45 am

Here is something I am going to try just for the heck of it:

Sloting Plus makes them. This might be a good way to lower the rear axle slightly.

Sorry Burg, not meaning to hijack the thread. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 pm

I've been eyeballing those bushings Harry. I almost bought some but couldn't get past the shipping charges one ebay seller wanted for dropping them in an envelope lick a stamp and then wait for the mailman to pick up. They would be a great way to lower the rear of that Plymouth. There isn't much space under the floorboards of that car to lower the body. I had the Revogram Lola Can Am cars in mind for those bushings. Do you have a supplier who you would suggest? Now back to the regularly scheduled classic Nascar programming.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Burglar » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm not sure how much lowering effect those would have - give it a try and post the results. Looking at them they would be a simple alternative to the technique I used up front if someone was looking to swap out the front bushings anyway. At a guess I'd say that the drop achieved at the front might be the same as I achieved with the piece of plastic card.

Do either of the SCC alignment tools (i.e., the one for Slot.It bushings or the one for SCC bushings) fit these bushings? That might make lining these up a little easier, although if you have good feel you can get very good results with just patiently running the standard axle back and forth in the same manner as with the alignment tool (although the tools clearances are much closer). I like to use Sloting Plus's two-piece Victor bushings up front on my Pioneer cars, and also use their guides, so I am pleased with their product line so far.

EDIT: I see now that there is also a 0.6mm drop bushing. That might make a considerable difference. Also, there is an ebay seller in Portugal selling these, that's all I see on ebay (seems like they combine shipping). We have a local Sloting Plus dealer here in Adelaide though (I'm sure that's no help at all to non-Australians here!).
Burglar

Next

Return to The Slot Car Garage