Big Block Carrera Lola

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Big Block Carrera Lola

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 pm

I thought I'd share my latest project. It is a Carrera Lola Can Am car. A little history. Awhile back, I built what I billed a Big Block McLaren M20. In that car I installed a Spirit FK180 pod and motor. The result is one of my quickest and best handling cars. I decided the Big Block McLaren need a running mate so I did this one yesterday.
On the outside she looks like any other Carrera Lola. Here she is posed with a stock Lola. You may notice that the modified car is a bit lower.

Underneith she is a little different.

It all started out with some cutting, dicing and some fabricated parts.
All stacked together they look like this.

I used JB weld to attach the brass front pod mounting plate to the remaining chassis.
All glued up it looks like this.

I relieved the underside of the driver tray for clearance. After all I am going from a FF050 to a FK180.

I had to add a couple of mounts to carry the back of the pod. The fit was tight but there was just enough room.
The axle gear and bushings are Slot.it. The wheels are Slot.it F1 with Paul Gage jumbo tires. The motor is an FK180 from an Braun electric toothbrush. It is roughly similar to the Colgate Motion TB motor that was tested at 20,000 K by Robert Livingston.

The results? This morning it turn a 5.774 on my new twisty wood road track As a comparison my Racer Capri super rod's best time is 6.469 The big block McLaren I mentioned earlier has run 5.989.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Big Block Carrera Lola

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Bravo...nice slice and dice!

Looks good too. I like how you kept it looking to scale as best you could.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Big Block Carrera Lola

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm

I wouldn't sacrifice scale appearance for the sake of going fast. The Can Am series historically was all about how can we get more power, more tire in a light weight car and then figure out how to keep that monster on the track. It is in that spirit that built these cars.

Thanks guys, On the McLaren, I used a BNova adapter with a Slot.it wood guide mounted forward of the stock guide position enough to allow the installation of a straight axle. The Lola's stock wonder guide is forward enough already for that job so I just stuck with the stock guide minus the return spring. I turned down the stock wheels, front and rear, on my drill press for use as insert in the Slot.it wheels front and back. As an economy measure, I often use Slot.it plastic 15X8 wheels on the front of a lot of my home brews. They are round and once you get an insert in them, they look good and are more than adequate for the job. That is what is used on the Lola.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage