Shore Numbers

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Shore Numbers

Postby jmsh54 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am

Is it correct that the higher the shore number the softer the tire? The reason I ask is that I have to cast a set of tires for a project and want to make sure that I order the product with the correct shore number. I looking at this product that is called Vytaflex 40 with a shore number of 40. Is that to soft? The other product I am looking at is called Reoflex A30. Thank You for any help. Regards, John
jmsh54

Re: Shore Numbers

Postby Foamy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 am

No matter what scale you use, the larger the number, the harder the thing is.
Most people use a durometer from auto racing for their tire sorting, but I don't know which Shore scale that is equal to.
I know A is softer than B and so on. . .
The same follows for the Mohs scale for gemstones and the Rockwell scales for metal.
Foamy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:24 pm

For 1/32 1/24 tyres Vytaflex 40A will be good. I am currently using Reoflex 30A and 40A to make tyres. The 30s need to be glued on the rims, (I glue the 40s as well on cars I race but don't have to on general driver cars) they offer good grip but I am not certain they are better than the 40A. I have made one batch up mixing equal 30 and 40 as an experiment. I think that the 30 is more suited to low profile tyres 20x10 etc whereas the 40 covers tyres across the range.

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jmsh54 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Greetings, thank you Foamy and David. Your information is just what I needed. Regards, John
jmsh54

Return to The Slot Car Garage