Carrera 132 Digital -Ideas for best car to modify

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Carrera 132 Digital -Ideas for best car to modify

Postby jettman333 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:11 pm

I have been racing in a really cool league at a local hobby shop where modifications are allowed and I'm looking for ideas on a new car to get for the purposes of making a really fast car for this track. The rules for modification are pretty simple - the cars must be able to run on the track (requires a Carrera digital chip) and the bodies of the car can't be seriously modified (i.e., you can trim out the fenders to allow for tires to fit, but you can't cut the whole thing off). Interiors, glass, lights, etc. can all be scrapped.

Track set up changes every 3 months or so, but generally is going to have some very long straights, some elevation changes, high banked turns, tight turns, etc. The races are fairly short in length: 10-lap races; so I'll be running quick slicks. That being said, I'm looking for advice on a car that modifies well for top speed and cornering.

I've noticed from the cars that I own that all the carrera cars are NOT created equally in terms of speed, or especially handling. Some of the cars do quite well right out of the box, and some barely hold the track without serious modification.

So basically, what I'm looking for is - what would be your top choice for a car to run on a carrera plastic 132 (digital) track AFTER modification. Magnets, motors, gears, wheels, tires, chassis trimming, etc.
jettman333

Re: Carrera 132 Digital -Ideas for best car to modify

Postby WaltB » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Are you required to run a Carrera car? What body styles do you run? You can chip most anything pretty easily.

My best Out of the box Carrera is probably the Porsche 917 followed by a Lola T222 Can Am .

I would throw a chip in a Slot it and give them fits but those are my quickest cars and I don't know if that's allowed in your series
WaltB

Postby jettman333 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 pm

As long as it has the chip it can be run. I’ve got the 917 now and it is a very popular car at the track.

What slot it car would you recommend?
jettman333

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:59 pm

I don't bother with digital stuff, but the best Carrera by far is the Plymouth Road Runner (not Superbird). It is an accident of balance in the chassis/body combination. Keep the center of gravity low, the body mount screws loose-ish, and use the best grip rear tires for your track. You'll be fine. I've seen it zoom past a 917, amazingly.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby jettman333 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks for the response. I’ll look for one of those. Looks like they might be a little hard to come by online (Amazon, eBay, etc.). When I find one I’ll be sure to pick it up.
jettman333

Postby WaltB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am

Keep in mind I don't race or have a wide variety of brands but I think the Slot it Alfa Romeo 33/3 and the Jag XJR9 both have good potential. Mine run very well with basic tuning and the sticky Slot it tires. I've found certain body styles struggle while others that are somewhat similar are much better.
Aero doesn't matter much on a slot car but balance, cg, roll center, weight distribution and lots of other factors do.
The "accident of balance" road runner shows up now and then, it's something I would have a go at cuz I like running different stuff too!
WaltB

Postby DrumPhil » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21 am

If you're allowed to run ANYTHING, Carrera's F1 cars are stinkin' fast when you upgrade the tires to urethane or silicone. There is so little body weight and big, grippy tires - these things fly. But if you are looking for sports car models (not open wheel), then I agree with the above recommendations of the 917K or something from Slot.It. The Slot.It Porsche 956/962 models are fast, smooth, easy to adjust, and easy to chip if you are going to remove the interior. Silicone and urethane tires are readily available. Some of the newer chassis are DPR, which means you could use the Carson chip for super easy plug-and-play chipping. Beware that most Slot.It models come without any magnet, so you might need to purchase the appropriate magnet to compete with other mag racers.
DrumPhil
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:17 am

The easiest to drive Slot It cars in my opinion are the Porsche 962 and Ferrari F40. The Audi R8C is also a nice drive. Best bang for the buck IMO is the NSR Porsche 917 or NSR GT40, there may be less chip space than Slot It, but you will have aluminum wheels all around and a sidewinder configuration to aid handling. Both brands offer more adjustments which will take some experimentation to set up for your driving style and track. Research is your friend. All cars are fast if you want them to be, the key is driving the car CONSISTENTLY around the track.
Last edited by Brumos RSR on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:15 am

I go with the Slot.it Porsche rather it be the 956, 962 or GT1. Although the Nissan and Toyota's are fast too.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:07 pm

If you stick with Carrera, run a DTM with a little weight added.

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage