Braids and Gears

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Braids and Gears

Postby Perrotoro » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks for tips on braids. I used a toothbrush with lighter fluid the last few weeks and picked up a tenth on my 4.5sec track - every time I use this tip.

As I checked out a car, I noticed and marked the location of a "catch" between a certain tooth of the pinion and inline gear. With a fine hobby file, I lightly brushed between the gear teeth. The catch went away and the car went from middle 25 to top ten of my fleet. It runs much more quietly and with less vibration, holds corners like the shoe goo :D . You guys have probably talked about this type of fix on the site but It was nice experiment that worked instead of replacement.
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Braids and Gears

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Congratulations. Normally, some of us hesitate to advise using a file or blade to clean off a gear. Because, well...it can go badly.

I have seen a few gears (crowns/spurs) with some excess flash, but not very often. When I do, I normally just add some break in paste and let the car run it off.

If you have a "catch" or a point in the rotation that seems to bind, it might just be a cracked pinion. Might also be a pinion that is warped/out of round.
These sometimes are rather hard to spot. My old eyes uses a magnifying glass to inspect them.
Most plastic pinions will split right away. Brass tends to stretch a little more, but I have a nice selection of Fly pinions that certainly shows they crack.
This is attributed to the pressure they are susceptible to when mounted on the motor shaft. In cases where splined motor shafts are present, it is even more common.
The brass pinions can distort and effect the pitch of the gears. Not always, but it happens.

In any case, good to hear things are working better for you.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to The Slot Car Garage