[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Ninco BMW V12 Tuning

Ninco BMW V12 Tuning

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Ninco BMW V12 Tuning

Postby fourshipp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:45 am

I need some assistance with tuning a Ninco BMW V12. I am running on Carrera track and have installed a Carrera chip. Initial tuning is truing the stock rear tires, installing the chip (with a bit of trimming on the chassis), and loosening the body to get some float. PG tires are on the way and I will work more on cleaning up the body-frame clearance issues.

So far it runs right with or a bit faster than my single magnet Carrera cars. I have run it with and without the small button magnet and have left the mag in for now. I will try it without the magnet again after I install the PG tires.

Two issues so far:

First, I’m having trouble with the braids keeping contact with the rails. I’ll run 30 to 40 laps with no issues, then it will get jittery, slow and/or stop, usually in the turns. Happens mostly after a deslot. I readjust the braids and things get better for a bit. Are there any tricks to getting the stock Ninco copper braids to work consistently on the Carrera track. Are there after market braids/guides that work better?

Second, it is a very noisy car. What can be done to quiet things down.

Thanks for the help.

Bruce
fourshipp

Re: Ninco BMW V12 Tuning

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm

The Ninco braid is generally pretty narrow. I make sure the braid is flared slightly to the sides (wider than the guide flag edge). If you push back on it slightly it will also widen a bit which will help.

The noise is all about bearings and gear mesh. If the axle has any front to back or up and down slip in the bearing that can be fixed with the super glue trick. The gear mesh will improve with running for an hour or so on the power supply to wear everything in....but it will never be as quiet as a slot.it, the Ninco cars are just loud.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Austin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:07 pm

I found that the rear axle and bushings fix loose so I have all ways used SCC bushings ans slot-it axles and gears
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Another tip for Ninco cars is to glue the motor in. Use some hot glue or shoo glue to hold the motor in. The inline Ninco cars aren't as bad as the anglewinders but it benefits from the motor being glued in. For Ninco braid I use a two sets of needle nose pliers to widen the braid at the end. This give better contact and softens it a little bit.

They are great cars one of my favourites.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby fourshipp » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies and tips. Yes, I have enjoyed the Ninco. It is my first non-Carrera car and I was impressed with how it drove compared o the heavier Carreras. I look forward to tweaking it and making it better. Great fun!
fourshipp

Postby fourshipp » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:04 pm

I solved the braid problem by tightening up the wire to guide connection. It now runs very consistently. I added paul gage tires to the back, trued them up on my new tire razor, removed the magnet, added 3/4 oz of lead to the back just in front of the rear axle and about a 1/4 ounce to the front end. I backed the body screws off 3/4 of a tire or so to get some float. It runs as quick as my Carrera DTM cars with one magnet. It’s much quieter now too. Happy happy.

Now I have to fit the cockpit and driver back in with the chip.
fourshipp

Postby WB2 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:18 pm

For another way of fixing lead wires to the guide, check out post #4: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index. ... pic=188083 .
I’ll give this method a try on my next recalcitrant car. I will try 2mm screws since I already have the tap and bit, along with round end SCC screws.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ConrodJo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:11 pm

All ninco cars have a lot of play/gap/loose tolerance between the axle and the axle bush.
You can spend a of of money replacing parts to fix that, or you can make a small trick with cheap CYA glue.
First remove the body and make sure the bush is tight in the chassis - you may need to glue it in place. Then power the car with some kind of power strip at about 3 volts and lightly oil the axle to bush just enough to coat the surface, but remove any visible oil with a cotton bud. then you apply a small drizzle of superglue to the inside edge of where the axle goes into the bush. The glue will get sucked into the gap between the bush and the axle and dry there, eliminating the play. As the glue dries, the engine will begin to labour a little, and when it does you just increase the voltage to the motor, so the glue cannot grab and lock the axle to the bush.

This is an easy trick to master with a little practice and makes cheaper toy shop cars run much better.
ConrodJo

Postby Czar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:23 am

The Ninco BMW V-12 an be an exceptionally fun car to drive, as are most of the Ninco cars. I think you will continue to find it really interesting to see what a difference there is in cars from other brands. Ninco cars always had a certain satisfying "feel" or personality that other cars never matched. Same with Fly. Something I always do is take a needle or bodkin and separate the weaving of he braids. Then you can spread them to cover the rail. You might also turn the very tips downward for a better contact.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage