[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Fiber tape beneath chassis

Fiber tape beneath chassis

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Fiber tape beneath chassis

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:35 am

On the group 5 proxy pics, I see a wide fiber-like tape stretched across the chassis/motor-pod. This probably is for a high-end purpose that doesn't translate down to my home Carrera magnet application, but I'm still curious as to the function(s) of this tape. I'm guessing it provides a smooth transition for a motor that might sit low in the pod, or something to that affect??? Or maybe just damper some vibration??? Please enlighten - thanks!
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Fiber tape beneath chassis

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:18 am

The theory of taping is that the pod movement is dampened by the tape, ginving the car a softer feel when driven. I will be happy to hear from the Masters, though.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 am

You would only use tape on a car that has a motor pod. I use tape to eliminate fore and aft movement of the pod while still allowing some side to side rocking movement. Some cars with loose motor pods might work better if the tape damps motion in both directions however, so tape is one thing that you can experiment with. If you are running with traction magnets tape is less likely to have any effect.
There is a mention of tape in this tuning article: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qBiTF ... 30_ixis4rX
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Perrotoro » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks Chappy and RichD! I see in some of the pics, the motor vent is covered by the tape. Is overheating of slot car motors not an issue with covering the vent?
Perrotoro
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:54 am

I seem to be a spoiler on this one. I've seen that tape on hundreds of Womp cars and such back as far as 40 years ago. What was it for then? I always hated the Womp stuff and all the other blinding fast denizens of commercial tracks.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mikeinclover » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:12 am

No slot car motors don't normally have a heat issue unless you are running magnets.
As for the reasoning for tape on say a womp chassis is to cover the holes on the chassis to prevent air getting inside the body and slowing it down or even lifting it. There is always the chance the person saw someone else do it so they thought they should. Had a guy come in the store one time with tape on the bottom of his Carrera car, when I asked why he said someone else did it so he thought he should also. The other car he was referring to was a Slot it.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:59 am

Back in the day... I used tape to hold the guide to the chassis and keep the car from lifting. My Astro V was always lifting and then deslot.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I knew guys who used tape on the bottom of a Womp chassis because they liked how the car handled as the foam rear tires wore down reducing track clearance, but didn't want the chassis to short out the braid if it dragged on the track.

And waay, you could take a Dremel to a Womp chassis and after some alterations end up with a nice 'custom' chassis. A beloved old timer (Norm Barger) who worked behind the counter at a commercial track I used to race at took a new Womp chassis, cut it up, lengthened it with piano wire, added a drop arm, and gave it to me for the price of a stock Womp chassis. When outfitted with good running gear it outdid the brass custom chassis in the class and finished first in points. It handled like a dream, without tape on the bottom.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby munter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:46 am

Yep, tape on metal chassis is to prevent shorting the track braids...tape on a podded plastic car is to dampen the movement.

I recently competed in an event for Slotit DTM cars. I didnt tape my chassis but many others did....I finished second out of twenty plus entries. The winner did tape his chassis though.

I remember the noise of Champion Turbo flex chassis as they braked for a corner. There was a definite click as the pans moved together with the chassis centre....no tape there to dampen just to insulate.

Chris Walker was telling me of some racers gluing the rear of the pods on some Group 5 cars...go figure that one out.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 pm

I have a question , and if this isn't the right forum to post this, please feel free to put it into the right forum . I am doing a little bit of kit bashing . My question is this , has anyone ever stretched a chassis , and if you have , what did you use to stretch the chassis . I plan on doing it to a plastic chassis , using popsicle sticks and epoxy so I can get the right wheel base . My question is , has anyone ever tried doing it ? And if you have I could use any information I can get .
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Sat May 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Popsicle sticks and epoxy will work but you might be better off using a couple of lengths of brass tubing or piano wire instead.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GAS41T » Sat May 18, 2019 5:00 pm

I’m an entrant in the GRP5 proxy...
Simple answer.....Tape is to stop unwanted movements in a podded chassis (forward,backwards& diagonal movements) only works with a loose pod & acts like suspension
Plus it makes the car Super smooth ....
Hope that helps

Rossko
GAS41T
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sat May 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat May 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Use styrene tubing for a plastic chassis. If you are gonna start that kind of mods, time to invest on some good material. No need for epoxy when Super Glue works.

As far as the tape...what they said.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to The Slot Car Garage