Printed Chassis Finishing Kit

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Printed Chassis Finishing Kit

Postby WB2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 pm

With the proliferation of 3D printed chassis for 1/32 scale cars, has anyone released a finishing kit for these?
Said kit would have a motor, pod, gears, wheels and axles. Seems like someone could buy in bulk and package these at a bit of a savings.
I've taken to buying gently used or sale Slot.It cars to get the needed bits, but then have a lot of parts left over.
Ah! There you go - Slot.It should jump on this. After all, they have a line of printed chassis.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Printed Chassis Finishing Kit

Postby lancelotalove » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:28 am

A finishing kit for a 3DP chassis would be a tall order. Many of the 3DP chassis i have can have a inline/sidewider or anglewinder pod and then many people prefer different motors. There are so many choices when it comes to wheels. Would a stock gear ratio be OK? 34/11 or 28/9?
It could be sidewinder pod, pirana motor, turned center rear axel, 11pinion, 34crown, pod attching screws, rear insert wheel X by X, rear tire X, front axel Xmm wide, front wheel X byX, front tires X, front axel adjusting screws, guide, braid,
Someone would have to be able to choose what they want to run on the 3DP from a dropdown list.
There are a lot of bits like pod screws, allen set screws, axel height adjustment screws, body screws, bushings, that i use from my parts bin so i dont have to buy to finish a chassis.

During proxy season, SCC will have a kit your order that has specification parts for a certain proxy. a spec motor, wheel, tire, and other bits.
They might be able to do something.

I have seen something like you are talking about on a german site, but it has too many parts i cant use here like 35k motor and tires/wheels with no raised center section.
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:25 pm

I did them for a little while - like 3 years ago when it sounded like a great idea to me.

It becomes a bit of a supply/time challenge to pull it all together (or was then...). It means doubling the quantity of things on hand - because you need XXX to sell as parts or put into cars - now you introduce 3D finishing kits and need that much more. Costs double, time goes up to sort and move it. It becomes another ball to juggle for the ROI clown. Nobody cares what it cost to put a screw in a bag - except the people who put them there. I don't think XYZ company would see the logic in "kitting" something they already sell as parts (and can make more money at - when sold by the part....). It would have been done by one of the Euro companies by now (I was just crazy enough to try it....).

Having said that - I may revisit this shortly as the 3D chassis world is about to change - so it may make sense for what we do to offer it.... Depends on cost and if the retail can be something affordable....
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:12 pm

I thought I had seen this on the CG website, but it wasn’t there when I looked the other day.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:18 am

If you had a spec class where all of the cars would have to be configured the same way it would make sense to do a bulk purchase for the parts. Our cars use a lot of aftermarket parts, a car using a printed chassis, Quick Slicks, CB Design wheels plus a Slot.it guide, axles and gears would add up to more than $120. With a bulk purchase you might be able to negotiate a discount and at least would save on postage VS a bunch of individual orders.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage