[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - correcting the Carrera 917 in 1/24

correcting the Carrera 917 in 1/24

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

correcting the Carrera 917 in 1/24

Postby btaylor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:06 am

There is no doubt that the Porsche 917 is one of the best looking race cars ever built. That being said, when you are working in 1/24 scale, the choices are somewhat limited. I purchased one of the many 917,s that are out there on the web right now at pretty good prices for a big slot. Unfortunately, the Carrera version, although a sharp looking car, is rather clunky and slow out of the box at twelve volts. Sure, I could just turn up the volts on the power source, but unless im running it against another Carrera, it just plain wont cut it. I set out to find the problem, and tore into the 917 with a vengeance. First thing I found was the terribly oversized, under powered motor that Carrera uses in there 1/24 cars. here is a picture of what I think came out of a cordless drill, and Carrera used them to power their big cars.
The photo shows it next to an NSR king motor that I am going to install to even the score on the track with my other cars. I tested both motors at 12 volts, and the pic shows the results I got. After dis assembly, I found Carrera uses a bolt in motor like our scratch built cars! I swapped out the Carrera pinion to the nsr motor, and did a test fit. the motor plate (plastic) holes don't line up. But using the outer most hole to set gear mesh, I simply filed the other hole to be able to use the other mounting screw. Bang! fit right up!. I used a dremell and cutter bit to remove a little plastic from the motor carrier, and all fit up just fine. I reassembled the rear axle/motor assembly and re soldered the motor wires to use the Carrera plug. I then turned my attention to the guide to remove the centering spring. I don't use them on my wood track. No issues there, about like their 1/32 counterpart. I trued the factory rear tires for now, and re assembled the beast for a test run. First lap told me I was on track(no pun intended) with my motor choice. I like to stay around 21,500 with my motors, but the 917 was heavy, and needed a little more punch to be competitive. the tested 22,500 motor dropped it right in line with my others. So, although most folks don't like buying an RTR car, and then having to work on it, when you have a wood track, you just expect it most times. I ended up with a smooth runner, and a damn fine looking car in my opinion, that runs with the rest. hope this helps someone. oh yea, and fc motor would be easier to adapt, but I had a few of these NSR takeouts to use up. motor choice would be up to the individual.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: correcting the Carrera 917 in 1/24

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 am

Nice work Bob, that’s always been the issue for many.

Glad you figured it out and it runs for you!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cincyslots » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:33 am

Nice write up and use of motors not being used. People can also use these. They are a direct fit and no work needed. Just remove the Carrera motor and pop this one in it's place.

Bruce

Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:52 am

What is RMS? I've never seen that motor.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Cincyslots » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:51 am

RMS is just the name the supplier chose. I don't know what it stands for. The stats for the motor are:

12V-24V Ultimate Tuning Motor 30k RPM at 12V with 38,8k RPM at 18V. This is a direct replacement and no screws are needed. We sold quite a few Rob. They come as pictured or w/o the wires and pinion.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Those are great for folks that cant or don't want to do modifications. I didn't know that motor was available! A bit to many R's for my taste, but a great offering for sure. Thanks for sharing that Bruce.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby WB2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Is that the same motor Carlos in Seattle has been selling?
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:03 am

Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 pm

I've remotored almost all my Carreras with the Carlos Motor (I paid about $12 per?) and they run great at 10V so we can somewhat mix and match ScaleAutos and BRMs on the track at the same time when we're just goofing about.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage