[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera Wheel Removal

Carrera Wheel Removal

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Carrera Wheel Removal

Postby WB2 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:08 pm

I have a new 1/32 Ford GT with a front axles that doesn’t spin freely. After reaming the bearing holes in the chassis, lubing the axle, and making sure there is side play, I’ve come to the conclusion the axle is bent.
Is there an easy way to break the wheel to axle bond without destroying the wheels? I’m leaning towards Channel Locks, but a bit leery not knowing if I can source a replacement axle if I trash a wheel.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Carrera Wheel Removal

Postby ALS » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:31 pm

I used a Slot it AXLE and a set of ball bearings and CBS wheels FROUNT rear 26 tooth gear CROWN 9tooth pinion CBS Wheels ALS
ALS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 pm

The generally accepted method for removing Carrera plastic wheels from an axle is to very gently twist the wheel against the axle while pulling the wheel away from the axle. If you follow the twist of the axle, you will leave plenty of grip for the wheel/axle join. I grip the wheel in a vice, then twist the other wheel to back the axle out.

When you get the axle/hub separate, just put a drop of any glue (wood, etc), on the serrated axle knurling and press the wheel back on, while turning, being careful to keep the alignment correct.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Wobble » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:51 pm

I thought most Carrera axles were splined rather than knurled in which case the wheel should pull straight off (with enough pressure) with out turning. Grab the axle with vice grips with enough room to fit the point of needle nose pliers between the vice grips and axle bush and use the pliers to gently pry the wheel off
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:11 pm

DON'T! There are splined axles in RTR slot cars, but Carrera doesn't do that. The axles on Carrera cars are knurled.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Ok so, not trying to intervene here, but I took apart the latest (Ford GT) model to check.

So splined. Some knurled, some not it seems.

However...this is no easy task to just pop off straight. I had to use to large pliers for these boogers.

No damage though. Wheel would be easily glued back on if need be. I put it back on with a drop of nail polish on the tip of the axle and rolled it to check. Seems fine to me.

Your mileage may vary.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Dodgefarmer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:00 pm

I don't know for sure if this holds true for all Carrera axles, but so far I have found that all my splined axles measure 0.093" and all my knurled axles measure 0.087" (same as Go)

HTH
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Recently I tried to take a wheel off a Scalextric Dodge Charger and discovered splined axles instead of knurled and since then discovered it on another Scaley car too. I kind of wish they'd make their minds up and stick with one or the other too.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:02 pm

So, its a new thing that they are using splined axles? I've never seen splined axles on Scaley or Carrera in many, many years. Over the years, I have found Scaley axles harder to get wheels off of and save the wheel.

That's a big deal. The standard ways of removing plastic wheels have been around a long time. We need to have a post about a major change like this.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:05 am

You should just buy Ninco cars - half a dozen laps around the track and the wheels will just pop straight off for you :)
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:48 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to The Slot Car Garage