[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slow Running Motor

Slow Running Motor

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Slow Running Motor

Postby whitworthnut » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:02 pm

whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Slow Running Motor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Just the usual suspects as I am sure you have checked: braid, connections, etc. Making sure there is no tire rub/binding is a good start.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:21 pm

I suspect that it needs running in if none of the usual stuff is at fault. Those cars were so smooth from the box, I thought they might have changed motors, even though they always had smooth motors and gears. It does happen that a motor is sometimes a dud, but with Carrera that's rare. Just for fun, hook up the power and grab the endbell with a pair of pliers so you can move the endbell a little while its running. If its out of alignment, it will suddenly run faster when you hit the sweet spot. Meanwhile, I have loads of those motors and I'll send you one if you like. I think I even have some still in the package.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby hoganracing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 pm

I had a Carrera motor that was running really slowly - so slowly I assumed that it was burning out. Not knowing any better, and figuring that I couldn't hurt it since it was such a dog, I took it apart (bent the retaining tabs that held the endbell on, and removed the innards). It had too much oil in it, which was fouling the brushes. I cleaned the excess oil out of it, reassembled it, and it actually ran well again. I wouldn't necessarily advise this course of action, but if I could get away with it most anyone could! (I'm sure Harry will vouch for the truthfulness of this statement!)

Having been reminded of the water break-in process (as described in this thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1752) I thought that this might clean up the motor and any excess oil without having to risk taking it apart.

Patrick
hoganracing
Frequent Flyer

Postby whitworthnut » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks for the offer of a motor, Waytoomuchintothis. That's very kind of you. I tried moving the end bell and it seems to be at its optimum position.

I removed the body, so there is nothing rubbing. All connections look secure. It seems to need just a bit more current than the other one before it starts to move so maybe it is oil or dirt. If I submerge it in water to run it in, do I blow dry it to dry it out and then oil it again? Why does it not short out under water. If I do it in alcohol, do I use methyl straight out of the bottle from the hardware store?
whitworthnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Shoot me a PM with your address, and it will be on the way. No problem.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:16 am

When I run mine in in water I add one, just one drop of Dawn dish soap, helps break down the oil. After running in water with dish soap run in clean water blow out with compressed air or keyboard duster. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby RichD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:18 am

Why not use contact cleaner, that is what it is for.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 am

The water followed by alcohol treatment is for breaking in a motor, not cleaning it. Use the contact cleaner spray in that situation, but this is a new motor, so it surely isn't clogged up with over-oiling mixed with dirt.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 am

Well, that's two weirds in a row, Jeremy. I never heard of a contact cleaner that left anything but lubricant behind, and I've never heard of a motor that was dirty from the factory. They don't even oil them at the factory. The film that's on them from the factory is the anti-corrosion spray from the parts. That's the reason all motors have to be oiled when you get them home. We gotta get you a rabbit's foot with a 4-leaf clover in its paw!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to The Slot Car Garage