[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - question about tires (maybe philosophical)

question about tires (maybe philosophical)

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

question about tires (maybe philosophical)

Postby pfuetze » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:55 pm

pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: question about tires (maybe philosophical)

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 pm

I cast my own tires, but notice the same type of wear and accumulation of dust. In my case it seems to be the outside rear( Left side when racing clockwise) that wears the most. I haven't noticed it out of round, but the diameter is much smaller then the inside rear after a lot of running. I use Gorilla glue and pretty much glue the entire tire to the rim.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Does your track have mor right turns than left? Just like in the real world it never hurts to rotate em.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Peter,
I run on a 4x16 flat routed oval. As I only make left turns I get the majority of wear on the right side where all the dirt collects. A light sanding and all is well.
I cast my own urethane tires for 1:32 Artin Nascars. My problem is that the original tires get hard as rocks.
My theory is that the tires do not actually roll on the track, they spin. The spinning puts heat in the tires. After the cool, they are heated up again in the next heat. The heating and cooling causes them to harden over several races.
What do you think?
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:14 am

pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:36 am

Is your chassis slightly twisted, putting more weight on one side?
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 am

chassis is straight, all 4 tires touch the test block. at least when the right side of the left tire is pointing downwards ;)
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Heck of a nice track... The hardest turn on your tires is post that long straight, so I would expect your outside right rear would take the hardest beating, especially since a 1/32 scale Mini has such small tires. It’s essentially a overlay large, heavy 1/48 scale car.

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:36 pm

You may not get a satisfying answer on this one. I built 4 Mini trucks, and two of them do this, two don't. They weigh the same, and swapping chassis doesn't make very much difference. Its a mystery. Mine haven't been run long enough to get that level of build-up, but its the same stuff, I'm sure. The tires I use make a whiteish gray dust, but its the same. I made my own wheels and I don't need much glue at all to hold them still at high rpm.
Viel Glück!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby RichD » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:13 am

I believe that your problem is the tires themselves. I have raced on Paul Gage and Yellowdog urethane tires and find that they wear very slowly. I have never seen tire dust on the body. I have found that both makes work best if they are polished after they have been glued and trued, I polish them by running a car around a skid pad made of Ninco track, which has a surface like sandpaper. It takes two or more hours of running to polish the tires.
I have found that superglue is not the best thing for gluing tires, the bond will often fail, so you should check for that. Even if the tires have started to come unstuck that would not account for the rapid wear that you are getting. I can understand that the outside tire would wear faster if you only run on an oval, but the tires should still at least be round. The tires should not be getting hard so that they require periodic sanding, urethane is a very stable material. It is my best guess that your tires are not fully cured, possibly not enough catalyst was added or the ingredients were not mixed properly.
I think that it would be worth your while to try another brand of tires.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2FER SLOTS » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 am

I get the same kind of tire residue, some cars it even collects under the rear wings !
I like the look :D....like its been racing.

We make mostly our own urethane tires, and use the softer compounds.

Can't imagine why there would be uneven tire wear running soft, high traction tires on a car with a locked differential and non-steerable wheels on a curvy road course.
Short wheelbase, wide track cars are gonna make this worse. ;)
2FER SLOTS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:56 pm

pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage