1/24 urethane tire truing questions.

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Re: 1/24 urethane tire truing questions.

Postby chappy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Bruce I have made Urethane 1/24 tires for clubs in PA, and also do recaps on Sponge tires with Urethane. The tires are used on Wood ovals , wood road courses and plastic ovals and road courses. The guys that run them love them. I also run urethanes on a wooden road course in 32 scale for a total of 2 hrs and 24 mins . It is our annual 2.4 HRS OF THE RING. We all start off with fresh Urethane s that are glued and trued , and have a second car in standby in the event of breakdowns, not tire wear. I have never had to retrue tires during a race , simply clean them between heats with a wet thumb and a lick of the tongue. Again the majority of these issues come down to using the right shore hardness. The more abrasive the track, the harder the shore. Wood being the least abrasive . As i mentioned earlier the tires will wear to the shape that suits them and the track, if anything needs redoing it is usually the tire edge recreating the radius.

If you read some of the posts on tires you will hear about tire width and track patch. Some support a narrower tire , whereas others think more tire gives more grip , and we also look at the distance between tires . It really is a game of what works best for what car , on what track. I will say there are about 8 tracks now running in the Southern Ontario Slot Racers. We all use only urethane tires and have done for years. So e of us have been making them ourselves as well as using Darts, Yellowdogs and Paul Gage tires. Pretty much all of the tracks are MSG with latex paint surface and copper tape.
There are no magic juices unless you lick your tires after having a sip of Jack Daniels.
We do take a lot of time in truing the tires , and getting them as perfect and as polished as possible. Some of the guys may spend 2 hrs on a single pair of tires, and it shows in performance. A lot of the Slot it tires are a soft shore like 25ish, but they are good on wood and will wear fast as compared to Paul Gage or Yellowdogs at a 40 to 50 shore.
There isn't a great deal of noticeable difference In grip between 40s and 50s, but the longevity is noticable. I learned from Harry about using Sally Hansen Hard as nails clear nail polish to secure the tires to the wheels, works great and dosent absorb deeply into,the tire like thin crazy glue.
Finally , if you have some wheels requiring tires , or recaps in urethane I can go up to 1 inch in diameter but that means a lot of sanding afterwards, my width increases by 1/4 " on my aluminum tire jigs . I generally use a Slot it buck , but can do them right on the wheels intended to be used.
Let me know if I can help out.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Previous

Return to The Slot Car Garage