[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - SCC Motor Tests - Jaws/Gator/Tuna Classic

SCC Motor Tests - Jaws/Gator/Tuna Classic

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

SCC Motor Tests - Jaws/Gator/Tuna Classic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:28 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: SCC Motor Tests - Jaws/Gator/Tuna Classic

Postby mikeinclover » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Great test Harry. Hopefully they will fill a void.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Awesome information, thanks Harry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks, great to read actual test results - good information. I am looking into home track friendly motors for my 1/32 builds, so all this is interesting.

How did you grab the torque readings?
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Thanks guys, glad it helps.

I made a drop arm for my disc. Robert Livingston helped me get the measurements correct and it worked fine. You must measure and mount correctly or it will not give proper results. One centimeter from center of shaft is required.

I took readings based on 4 volts. This produces less stress on the arm. At 12 it wants to move too easily. This is the method others have used in the past and I discovered why when trying at 12.

Take the readings and multiply by 3. My findings were nearly identical to Mr. Livingston's on some of the motors I used as benchmarks. Also used an NSR Spanish King and the readings I recorded were just about at the label spec. So I felt confident on publishing the data. Especially given the amount of motors I had at my disposal for creating an average.

Other advanced enthusiasts sharing information is priceless and I truly appreciate the help from them.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Very nice review Harry! Thanks!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby RazorJon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:56 pm

great review Harry, I cant wait to try these out on the track :text-thankyouyellow:
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:54 am

I like the numbers the Tuna generates.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:14 am

I was one of the people that originally tested what was to become the Tuna motor. Motors from several sources were compared. I broke them in on the bench and measured the RPMs at 12 volts. The motors were also run on the track at in a tuned Scalextric Toyota Supra with no magnets at both 10 and 12 volts. Even though this motor measured about the same as the others on the bench is was clearly the best on the track, which rather surprised me. Later I was told that other testers had gotten the same results. I measured 15.8K RPMs on the bench after the track testing was complete.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:40 am

On smaller home tracks you just don't need all the rpm and torque that some of these motors offer.

The Tiny Minebea s cans that I run at home will keep up and get quicker lap times around my track than the much more powerful motors. They just present a better car to drive consistently.

Looks like this Tuna will do the same thing.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 am

Great to see these very reasonably priced offerings coming to the market - and to have the "actual" average rpms and torque values for a reference is AWESOME!
Thanks guys!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to The Slot Car Garage