[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera digital cars in analogue mode: excessive brakes

Carrera digital cars in analogue mode: excessive brakes

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Postby SuperSlab » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:15 pm

I am not sure if others do this: I really like Carrera's cars as I consider them to offer incredible value for money. Even though I only run on analogue tracks in analogue mode, because the pricing is so reasonable I am quite happy to pay the few dollars extra for Carrera digital cars to get the lights. All you have to do is set the cars in analogue mode by putting the car on the track and pulling the controller trigger three times. This puts the chip in analogue mode and you can comfortably run the cars on an analogue track. Note that I run 1/32 only.

In recent times I have experienced a bit of a quirk though: when doing this, the newer cars have exceptionally heavy brakes. When you let go of the trigger, the cars STOP. They do not slow down: it is just BANG and the rear wheels lock up. I first encountered this with a Porsche 917. Now for some of you this would not be the end of the world but I tend to use very little brake when I race so this is not what I like.

The fix is very, very simple: I put the cars in analogue mode and then tap into the leads between the guide and the digital board. I run leads from there directly to the motor. In this way I get it all: digital car running analog, working lights and normal brakes: what is not to like? All this for a few minutes of work.

And just to note: the Carrera C7R is a beauty!!! The modelling, the paint finish, the tampo: gorgeous! All this plus a well running car (with just a few basic tweaks) for this low price? Fantastic!

Well done Carrera.

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Carrera digital cars in analogue mode: excessive brakes

Postby oldtymer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:48 pm

oldtymer
Cat Lovers Club Prez

Postby SuperSlab » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:04 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Maybe it is the way the chip is set up on the car? You would need a digital set to adjust to lighter braking.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oldtymer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:10 pm

oldtymer
Cat Lovers Club Prez

Postby oldtymer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm

If these are Carrera Digital you are using please try what I said ..when looking at the bottom of the car with the front end facing away flip the switch to the right then place it on an Analog track and hit the controller 3 times it will go....if you ever go to run that same car on a digital track switch it back to the left because you need to reset the brakes and speed again through the Control Box...If you are getting these car new they are set from the factory with full braking....thus...by switching it to the right before racing analog you are wiping out the factory settings....sorry I am rambling....just trying to help
Fred
oldtymer
Cat Lovers Club Prez

Postby SuperSlab » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:29 pm

I do not run digital at all and I do not have access to any digital equipment. The fix I mentioned is literally a 10 minute one so I am fine with doing that.

Cheers
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:08 pm

I de-soldered the motor wires from the digital chip, and parallel them on the motor with the power leads. Then I plug the motor directly into the guide, and the chip into the new set of wires. Gives me the Carrera headlights, and still counts laps on my dead strip
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 am

I am not sure about this, but as I mentioned before if the chip is set from the factory with maximum braking effect then it is possible that when you are running it in analog mode this setting is still in play. Dave Kennedy could confirm this. If you have no access to a digital CU to adjust this then you may be stuck with the brakes as they are. If you have access to a CU then the car brakes can be programmed for a lighter effect.

If you have no use for digital, pull the chip, connect the guide directly to the motor and sell the chip for $20., You end up with a really nice analog slot car for $25, and you have bypassed all the electronics in the chip and the braking effect should be normal. I think the motor plug will plug in directly to the guide plug, so you could just try this and see if the excessive braking is gone.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:40 am

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hksk25 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Alwyn, from what I understand, by flipping the switch then hit controller 3 times, you are bypassing the chip which will eliminate the massive brake problem and still have lights. The car will brake normally, so no additional wiring should be necessary. The switch is for direction change on digital only.

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:55 pm

SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oldtymer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:39 pm

I would like Dave Kennedy to jump in and end this.....there are countless videos on You Tube from Carrera...A DIGITAL CAR HAS TO BE SWITCHED FROM THE LEFT POSITON ( when looking at the bottom of the car with the front away from you ) TO THE RIGHT BEFORE YOU PLACE CAR ON THE TRACK TO HIT THE CONTROLLER THREE TIMES...sorry I had to repeat myself but all 50 of my Digitals have been on wood analog tracks....
oldtymer
Cat Lovers Club Prez

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:57 pm

From the Carrera site FAQ's:

Question: Can Digital 132 cars also be run in analogue mode, that is on an Evolution circuit?
Answer: Yes; by pushing down the plunger on the hand-held control set 3 times, Digital 132 cars can be re-set to analogue for the Evolution circuit. According to direction of running, it may also be necessary to change over the switch on the underside of the car.

So from this it appears that the switch position does not affect the ability to switch into analogue mode. The switch position only depends on the direction you want to run the cars in.

All four my current digital cars that I am running this way (VW Beetle, BMW Z4, Corvette C7R, Audi A5 DTM) have the switch in the RIGHT position (as you look at the car from the bottom with the front of the car facing up). A fifth car (BMW M3 DTM) has the switch to the left. Noted that the M3 DTM does not have lights and has a smaller circuit board without the digital chip. It appears to be just a simple analogue direction switch. All of them run in the same direction (the same direction as any new analogue slot car that you take out of the box).

FWIW
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hksk25 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Link to video from Carrera USA

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Slot Car Garage