Professor Motor controller help needed.

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Professor Motor controller help needed.

Postby DHansen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:17 pm

It's been awhile sense I posted on here, but I do check in every so often. I need some help in finding parts for a Professor Motor controller. I don't seem to be able to find a link to there web site any more. I have what I think is a 2063 controller, it has 8 small knobs on the left side for speed sensitivity, and a slide switch on the right for polarity, and a turn knob for adjustable brakes all so on the right. I'm looking for the tinny resistors for the adjustable brake. I have tried Radio Shack and a few other electronic places but haven't found any resistors with the correct color code stripes on them. Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Professor Motor controller help needed.

Postby mikeinclover » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 pm

Do you have a picture of them or the controller. I can touch base with them and see if I can get what you need or you could just send it to me and I will get it fixed for you.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DHansen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:27 pm

I can get a pic later on today.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DHansen » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:26 pm

Photos of the resistors that I need.

DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Here's the link for exactly what you want.
http://www.professormotor.com/Professor ... -s/555.htm

Also, f you send it to them, they do excellent work on controllers.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby gascarnut » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Those are 1/8 Watt, 2.2-Ohm resistors.

Available from electronics stores like Mouser Electronics:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xic ... 33ctXF0%3d

12 cents each if you buy 10 or more.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:37 pm

I just talked with them and they do have them in stock just need to know the ohm rating on them. You could also remove the resistor s and just install a break pot.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:32 am

Looking at the picture I'll bet that there is nothing wrong with the resistors. If the controller was ever hooked up wrong the resistors could have gotten burned up, however in my experience damaged resistors are obvious. What seems to be lacking is a wiper to select how many resistors would be in the circuit. There is a wiper pad and the resistors are connected to that, but the wiper itself is missing. Lacking the wiper I would expect that the controller has almost no brakes at all unless the brake circuit was hot wired. Looking at the wiper pad there are no marks that would indicate that there was ever a wiper. Some of the PM diode controllers came with a fixed resistor in the brake circuit, the features listed for the controller indicate that variable brakes were an option. Probably those 15 2.2 ohm resistors are always in the brake circuit for a total of 33 ohms. Controllers intended for use with 1/32nd cars usually have a 25 ohm pot in the brake circuit, adding a wiper would make your controller more functional.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DHansen » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks for your help everyone. .......Richd, The wiper arm for the brakes is on the back side of what you see. The controller has been hooked up wrong a couple of times through the years and each time it blows one resistor. A couple of other times the alligator clips touched and blew a resistor. Each time I blow a resistor I just soldered a bridge across the back side of the resistor. So there is about 4 of them that are open/no current flow, and bridged, otherwise I had no brakes. It's like around 10 years old and things happen in the heat of a race that are hard on things. When I make the repair I plan on putting a small bymetal circuit breaker in the brake wire to prevent this from happening again. The circuit beakers are made buy Difalco pt# DD835 and reset them selves as soon as the short is removed. Something I should have done a long time ago. Thanks again everyone for your help.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:06 am

A breaker on the circuit is a good idea. You could replace the whole works with a 25 ohm pot/rheostat from Radio Shack. All of the Shoreline Model Raceways tracks use XLR jacks. Those can't be connected the wrong way, they can't short circuit and they lock in place. Some of our tracks also have screw post connections, but all of our controllers have XLR plugs. I have an XLR to alligator clip adapter for my controller in case I want to race on a track that does not have XLR connectors, but it looks like nearly all of the club tracks in the Northeast have them.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DHansen » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 am

I thought about just adding a rheostat like I have on several of my other controllers, but decided agents it, wanted to keep thing original as possible. The plug connector is a great idea except none of the clubs I race with have tracks that use them. The 2 clubs I race with each have around 5 different home tracks we race on. Once a month we run on a different track. I ordered the new resistors just this morning. Should be here in a few days. Thanks again for your help.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage