[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - "Dremel" toolkit

"Dremel" toolkit

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

"Dremel" toolkit

Postby bkrownd » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 pm

What are the most useful bits for a Dremel/rotary tool, for building and enhancing slot cars and tracks? Which ones cut well in resin and plastic, without getting too grabby or loaded up with debris? Are the polishing bits any good for working on slot cars?
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: "Dremel" toolkit

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Your basic sanding drums are priceless to me. They do everything from fenders to trimming chassis for me. Plus you can use different grits for finer work.

Some of the smaller milling bits too.

I'll shoot you a pic tomorrow, hitting the sack now :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:00 pm

Don't forget then fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Burglar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:07 am

Burglar

Postby bkrownd » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Last edited by bkrownd on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:52 pm

The cut off wheels and sanding drums are what I use most. Although I have several milling bits that come in handy especially for resin work, just be sure to wear a dust mask when sanding or grinding on resin. The stuff is nasty on your lungs. ;)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Burglar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Burglar

Postby FootScoot » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:01 am

That's just about like the mask I have for painting. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:39 am

Here you go. Its a bulk pack, and they are 1mm thick.

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bkrownd » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:14 pm

The thin cut-off discs sold by Professor Motor are indeed very thin.

We got a Dremel Stylus - the little handheld pistol-grip version of the Dremel tool. It's vastly better than trying to use a regular bulky Dremel tool or small drill.
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:54 pm

As long as we are talking about the high rpm's, DO NOT use the various wire brushes at anything but the very lowest speed. They come apart and send zillions of tiny steel flechettes all over, including you. That's a splinter experience you don't want.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bkrownd » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Dremel Stylus with milling bit:

The milling bit was better for hogging out excess resin than I expected. Once long ago I had used one on aluminum and it was too grabby, but on resin it cuts very nicely. The nice handle of the Stylus helps immensely with controlling the tool, and the motor torque is less of a problem than with a normal Dremel.
Last edited by bkrownd on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Late, but here is most in my small arsenal.

Yes, I know...not very organized. But if I cleaned and organized, my buddy Tom wouldn't find anything and get mad.

I keep him happy.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to The Slot Car Garage