Racer Capri Gr5 Carrera digital chip and light install

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Racer Capri Gr5 Carrera digital chip and light install

Postby buspor63 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:20 pm

I've been wanting to chip this car since getting it a couple of months ago. For me, the challenge was how to mount the digital board around the center front pivot of the motor pod. When centered, the polarity switch only would fit in the pocket between the pod mount screw and the body post. This put the leading edge of the chip half covering the body post. I settled on a compromise of shifting it off center some, risking that the LED may not trigger the lap counter and lane change LED's. If that's a problem, I have some loose infrared LED's I can remote mount, or swap to a Slot.it two screw front pod.

The chip came from a frequent eBay seller and sometimes slot forums contributor. It was a takeout from the new Corvette C7R so it was the smaller chip complete with new style micro LED's mounted on individual PC boards. In order for the light to shine through, I dremeled small holes through the body plastic to the back side of the lenses. The fronts had to be removed and a silver reflector removed, I then quick glued the lense back on. The PC boards are held in place with hot glue. The first test showed lots of light bleeding through. Taking a tip from Carrera, I painted the surrounding area with silver paint to block the light. Even on the light weight, thin Racer bodies, you can't tell it's been painted from the outside

The camera angle exaggerates the offset some.

I painted the underside of the body with silver paint to eliminate light bleed through.

buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Racer Capri Gr5 Carrera digital chip and light install

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:02 pm

Thanks for posting this here. Well done.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby k0z0oo1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 am

Nice job chipping and adding the lights. They look great! I haven't gotten around to doing any of my racer sideways group 5 cars yet.
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 am

Very very nice. I have to do a little more diligence in my light search. I've been waiting for some to pop up for sale. They opened up so many possibilities to adding lights to cars with limited space.

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:09 am

Veery nice bild. Of course the lights give it that finished touch.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Quick update, the chip LED is in the wrong place so it never counted laps and would only read the pit in LED, not the lane change ones. My options are to remote mount a new IR LED that I have or switch to a different pod like an inline or side winder. Other than that, totally pleased.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage