RK42 in an SCX COT, possible short track stormer?

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

RK42 in an SCX COT, possible short track stormer?

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm

G'day Guys,

Am working on tuning some SCX COT cars for a class here (Home Racing).....

Initially I was just going to swap out the RX-41's a couple of the cars came with for RX-42B's.

Then I thought I'd chuck in a new RK-42 I had left over from a Cuda project (thank you H, I'll make use of the stock motor here now!)....

I ran the RK-41 against a stock 42B to see what lap times were, the chassis is still stock that I did the runs in. 2.5 with the 42B and 2.6 with the RK-42.

It was slower BUT, the new RK-42 seems to produce a mile of torque, it was breaking traction a lot with the stock SCX tyres. I think if I can get it to hook up it will fly!

The RX-42B ran 8800RPM at the rear wheels, the RK-42 turned in 8200RPM. Not a lot but the torque factor I cant measure.

I was over at Robert Livingstons motor list the other night, he has tested some really good torque figures for the newer SCX motor....

Maybe this newer motor will be a killer on the Home tracks many of us race on?

About the only thing I didnt like about the new RK series motor was the dicky brush set-up, its really flimsy (although it should be a snap to get equal tension on the brushes).....

I'll see how it all goes over the next few days :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: RK42 in an SCX COT, possible short track stormer?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am

Yes, not a bad motor. The only issue is what the future holds for SCX.

We have many of our original "aero" cars with the 42B. On our oval, although slower, they are still a blast to run. Bring them over to the road course and it gets even better.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:01 pm

H, they are fun on a circuit!!!!

I reckon they would give our local V8 Supercars a run for their money!!!

I was running Chrissy's Toyota Camry M&Ms car last night, 2.1 seconds :)

Yellowdogs, dipped 42B, 10T and tuned the HRW way. That is a quick little jigger by any measure.

I wonder how it will all end for SCX as well...

..... The meltdown in the UK for SCX was major. A trusted source told me that their were shipping containers of new slot cars parked at the UK distributor, literally tonnes of product looking to be offloaded.

Hence the huge discounts on many models of the SCX range.

I hope the new owners of SCX keep the evolution of this brand going but I fear it may be a case of running the molds until they wear out then close shop.

I sincerely hope this isn't the case....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Aloha

SCX were meant to run at 14 Volts and with the longer can motor, that's where they shine .[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head! Love the style of can motor but the arms are designed for higher voltage. I usually take it apart turn the comm so it is true and also static balance the arm. Glue in the magnets to the proper air gap between arm and magnets. Reset the end bell brush hoods so the brushes are centered to the comm. And with all that It gains minimum rpm's at low voltage. They thrive on higher voltage.
My buck two ninety eight's worth.
Aloha
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 pm

...Good tips there Marty!!!

Just set up a 42B today and wondered how I could shim out the mags to get a better air gap....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:19 am

Aloha Bob
To get the proper air gap you need to measure the arm and then order from one of the commercial slot shops a plug that is 3-5 thousanths smaller, pull the magnets and hold on to the springs that hold em in, get some JB weld or similar lightly apply the JB or sim. to can and magnet DO NOT GET MESSY! a little goes a long way! otherwise the JB will stick to the plug and you will have a big problem. let it set until dry. After the JB is set take the proper size magna hone and hone the magnets
with one of these...
http://www.ncphobbies.com/motor-can-tools-1/24-tools/ you cna probably find the proper size plug here too!
Aloha
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 pm

Hey, thanks Marty!!!!

Thats Gold, will look into getting a plug doovey to suit the SCX cans, makes a whole lot of sense and is waaaay easier than shimming out the mags (I was going to cut up some old feeler gauges and stuff them between the mag and the can)......

I know that reducing the air gap does help, I used to do this with my HO gear....

Cheers Mate :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage