[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Parma Controller Tune-up Tips Needed

Parma Controller Tune-up Tips Needed

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Parma Controller Tune-up Tips Needed

Postby Scatman1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Guys, need some of your tips and tricks to maintain and improve a Parma controller.

Thanks
Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Parma Controller Tune-up Tips Needed

Postby Scatman1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 pm

I have other types of controllers, but I need 4 Parma controllers for when people come over. I'm going with 35 ohm for the four driver stations.
Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:55 am

Aloha Tony
My parma controllers are 25 ohm and to keep em "tuned" I diassemble it and place a piece of 220 grit sandpaper between the wiper arm and the resistor,Image pull the trigger a few times to smooth out the wiper and making it flat like we do our tires. When finished add a couple of drops of voodoo comm drops or similar comm drops to the resistor. Oil the pivot pin on the trigger, and to my liking I polish the trigger, where my finger touches it. Also you can remove the wire that goes to the metal frame and solder it to the wiper arm,cut it loose from the frame snake the wire under the trigger and up through the hole in the wiper arm and solder it, this way the power doesnt have to travel through the frame.Image The power directly goes to the wiper. If the resistor heats up (though it shouldnt) use an old school heat sink, ebayers sometime sell em.
Aloha
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Scatman1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks Marty. That is what I'm looking for. Hopefully we will get more creative tips.
Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 am

If you want a really smooth controller remove the resistor from the frame and coat the wiped area with JB Weld epoxy. When the epoxy has set put a sheet of 400 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, turn the resistor face down and sand until the bands show. Besides making for a smooth feel this treatment will make it much less likely that the last band at the top speed end of the resistor will wear through, which is a common problem with Parma resistors.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:32 am

Great tip Rich.

I'll post a quick photo sir, but right now I am swamped.

You can use your Dremel and cut away the side ribs exposing the resistor. Then you can use Marty's advice on using fine grit sandpaper to clean the contacts WITHOUT taking the whole controller apart.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby boopiejones » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:18 am

With a little soldering and about $15 in parts, you can add adjustable sensitivity and braking to a parma. I recently did this with a 45 ohm parma, and it now has the ability to be switched to 35 and 25 ohm as well. If I didn't already own the 45 ohm controllers, I probably would have started with a 35 and dropped it down to about 27 and 20.
boopiejones

Postby Scatman1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:25 am

Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:50 pm

jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 pm

At the risk of cross posting, here is an old article on modifying the Parma Econo:

http://www.oldweirdherald.com/scalestuf ... oller.html

I have done this to a couple of controllers and I find that it's cheap and easy to do!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:51 am

You can salvage that resistor, just solder the end of the last turn to the back of the full speed band.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby boopiejones » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 am

boopiejones

Postby Scatman1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 am

Scatman1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:00 pm

RichD