PM Controller

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Re: PM Controller

Postby RichD » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:48 am

Since the controller has alligator clips I would guess that it is positive polarity. You did not say what sort of track or connections you had. If you were to connect just the white and black wires if the polarity is wrong for your track you will only get full speed. Nothing will be damaged if the polarity is wrong. If the controller works you can connect the red brake wire. If the controller does not work you can reverse the black and white wires. The controller will work, but you will have to leave the brake wire disconnected. PM sells a dual polarity kit for your controller. I am not certain of what the box is for, my best guess is that it allows two controllers to be connected at the same time with the switch to select which one is active. One of the jacks does not have a brake connection. Is it too late to ask the person that you bought the controller from?
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:45 am

The polarity of a controller can't be changed by using an external box, you have to change the internal wiring. Your controller has 24 diodes, that would probably make it a model 2047. That controller is intended for use at higher voltages, like HO cars use. For use with 1/32nd cars the controller will lack sensitivity, you will have to pull the trigger about 1/3rd of the way to get the cars moving, so only part of the trigger pull will be useful. The variable sensitivity kit allows you to take some of the diodes out of the circuit to get a faster response. You should probably get the dual polarity kit and variable brakes are useful as well.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:54 am

The Professor Motor diode controllers have been out of production for some time, when they were in production there were instructions on the website on how to install the lights. It looks like you will have to contact PM to get that information. The 2051,2052 and 2060 controllers came with the lights.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VenturaAlfa » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:06 pm

I have the same controller. I think the previous poster was correct in it being a model 2047.

I also got the low cost sensitivity adjusters. Very easy to install and work very well. Adjustment is as easy as turn of a screwdriver. The adjustments give you much more sensitivity across the full range of the controller with 1/32 or 1/24th cars.

The polarity kit is a little more difficult to install. There are instructions with the kit but they are not very clear. There are still some on the site but they are just the instruction pages which have been photographed and added to the site, they are even less clear than the instructions.

I called Andy at Professor Motor and he was very willing to help. Really nice guy who doesn't spend a lot of time on the internet.

Ventura alfa
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 am

If you go to the PM site and look at the page with controller parts you will see the PMTR2036 polarity switch listed. Click on the link to get a new page that includes links to PDFs with detailed instructions for installing the switch. The second link is for controllers with the red circuit board and that also shows the location of the lights. The location for the resistor on the other side of the board is partially blocked by some graphics.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage