[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Tuning For Smaller Tracks - Slot.it Porsche 956K

Tuning For Smaller Tracks - Slot.it Porsche 956K

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Tuning For Smaller Tracks - Slot.it Porsche 956K

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Some folks like going blazing fast and milking every last tenth of speed out of a car. My personal tastes are just different. I prefer my models at more scale realistic speeds and to have performance as smooth and manageable as possible.

The stock orange endbell Slot.it motors are just too much for our 4 x 16 track. I do not like the "punchiness" it has at the low end and all that RPM simply has not enough room to open up.

My choice is the milder H&R Hawk motor. First, this motor is no slouch. It has PLENTY of torque and RPM for many models out there. Basically a stock Scaley/FLY replacement motor that with the extended motor shafts on each can fit a wide variety of cars. Plus they are affordable on tighter budgets.

Since we are running non-magnet on wood I needed tires. I could use the S2 tires that came with it, but some of my other models don't have them and I like to use the same parts to keep things even. I chose the Yellow Dog Supertires from SCC #1404RY. I prefer the Yellow Dog urethane blend as they are much easier to sand. This makes it a snap to contour the inner sidewall to help reduce any chatter.

I also chose this size and blend so I can sand them to the diameter I like. Too low a profile does not look right to me and over time as we scuff sand to clean them they simply become too small. So, I choose the larger size.

Motor and tire installation is as easy as it gets. The tires really fit the stock Slot.it wheels nicely.

Very pleased with the results. The performance is now toned down to better fit my smaller track, yet the speed and action is anything but boring.

Ted and a few others were asking about cars we have "chased" or older models left behind. This car is one of those for me. I had long since stopped adding these cars, but with all of the new aftermarket options we have today it is much easier to get them tuned to my liking.

Just having some fun on this great Thanksgiving day. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Tuning For Smaller Tracks - Slot.it Porsche 956K

Postby baford1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Harry once again great job & easy to understand instructions I am particuarly interested in the motor can you please let us know where it is available from , once again nice job these Slot It
Porsches are nice cars

Richard
baford1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:05 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby baford1 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks for the reply Harry that looks like a cool shop & a place that I could easily spend money at I hope that they can ship to Australia
I also like the price of them motors

Richard
baford1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:16 am

Oh Wise Harry One,

Outstanding job on the tuning for a shorter track.

I am liking the article very much and will more than likely use the jist of it when my new track is finally in it's new home. Since it is wood, I'm sure there will be a large learning curve on my part for tuning cars to run well on this track. I had already considered less horsepower and better tires.

My first test once the track arrives is to change the rear tires on my Slot.It Lola B09/60 from a pair of SuperTires 1408RC's to a pair of 1408RCY's. This particular car ran well during our test at the present location of the track, so I want to use it as a test bed for learning about the new track. Plus the powerband of the particular motor in this car just lent itself well to the track conditions we had. But only further testing will let us know.

I noticed that Slot Car Corner also has some C.B Design Wheels in 15 x 11 size. The new Super Tire, model 2112-RC or 2112-RY look like they may just be the solution for using cars on both our plastic and wood tracks at our club.

Thanks again for a great review.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby MoparGreg » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:36 pm

MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby raceeng18 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:47 pm

I've never tried a Hawk in a Slot.it before Harry. I've used them in the Scaley NASCARS and others however. So as not to keep buying motors I will hook a string of diodes in-line and just move the white controller wire up or down on the string to find a speed that I like. Seems to work for me.

Joe F.
raceeng18
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:45 pm

What ever works for you is always the best way sir.

Things are actually much better now because of the PM controller upgrade. Still, I like the feeling of these motors. Plus, with several different motor changes Slot.it has done over the years, it allows me single powerplant for all, especially the older ones I am somehow collecting :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah good stuff H!!!!

Smaller home tracks need a different mindset when tuning thats for sure.

The higher performing motors can be a bit of a bother to get happening, taking the "edge" off the package as you have done is the best way I think.

I always used to go for a gearing change, but that in itself isnt the answer, all it did was multiply the torque factor and make good traction harder to achieve...

The high performance slot cars can be a bit of a lost cause on our small home track because of the stuff you have addressed in this write up.

Good work Mate!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 2WheelPilot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 pm

2WheelPilot

Postby HRWJim » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:19 pm

I will attest that these are very nice running cars. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:37 am

Yes that would certainly work,

But I still use the Standard Scalextric power supplies on my layout, have done for years, will have to look at changing them one year I suppose.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage