Death of a Motor

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Death of a Motor

Postby Fast Co. » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Tonight the King 21 Evo in my fastest car, a C6R Corvette, died - but not before turning in a fast lap of 6.860 in the blue lane. Not quite the track record which was set last Sunday by Jason, also in blue - 6.845, but a personal best.

At full throttle the car suddenly halted as quickly as if it hit a wall. A little fiddling with it and it was running again like nothing happened. Peat and repeat. After four "deaths" I'm going to retire the motor unless, like cats, it has 9 lives or one of you more experienced racers can provide me with some tips to rejuvenate the thing...
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Death of a Motor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:11 pm

It sounds like the commutator plates are shorting out. Spray a little(!) electric motor cleaner on the comm and spin the motor with your fingers. Give it a few minutes, then spin it again, or hit it with compressed air. Hook the motor back up and see what you get. It might just cure it, and you get to keep a broken-in good motor.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Fast Co. » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:49 pm

I'll have to pick up some cleaner tomorrow and try that. Thanks!
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ddyke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:08 pm

I got a free motor once as someone threw it away -- it was exactly what Waytoomuchbeerinhim said.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jcis4me » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Aloha
If your motor can is an open design which I think the nsr is you might have picked something up off the track and jambed between the arm and the magnet, you mentioned it stopped as if it hit a wall? I used to run a commercial track in the late 90's and that was common with parts coming off as the straight pins used to hold the lexan bodies on, would be picked up by the magnet and instant brakes!
Aloha
Marty
jcis4me
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Slot Car Garage