[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Motor and pinion help please!

Motor and pinion help please!

YOUR Place To Share All Your Tuning Tips & Speed Secrets!

Motor and pinion help please!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Motor and pinion help please!

Postby RichD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:22 pm

There are improvised methods that you can use to press on the pinion, since the end of the motor shaft at the endbell side is enclosed a hammer is out. You could use a vise as a gear press, but there needs to be a place for the end of the motor shaft to go or once it starts to clear the end of the pinion or the shaft is likely to bend. It is really a good idea to buy a good gear press and puller if you expect to do this very much.
See this article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLR42 ... sp=sharing
There is a list of tools at the end.
Last edited by RichD on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Pappy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 am

I don't think it really matters if you use a pinion press or a hammer, the shaft will probably slide inside the laminated stack until it bottoms out.

Here's what I'd do.

I'd put a mark on the motor shaft next to the bushing with a sharpie so I'd know if the shaft has moved and how far (just for my own information). Then I'd take the motor and put it on the flat spot on my vise and lightly tap the motor shaft with a small hammer until the shaft bottomed out, you'll probably know by the sound. The reason I'd do this is so you know how long to cut the shaft, you don't want to cut the shaft first and then have it move and be to short. Then go ahead and tap my pinion on.

There is a chance it might crush the little cap on the end of the motor a little bit but if it's going to do that it's probably going to do that either way you put the pinion on. I don't think it matters much if you crush it or not, it's probably just a dirt guard, I would think there has to be a bushing mounted in the can.

Right or wrong, that's what I'd do.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 am

If you use a hammer you might drive the pinion on too far. If you do that the gear may be in the wrong place to mesh properly or you might have difficulty removing it later on.
If there is anyone out there that regrets spending money on good tools they should speak up now. There are tools out there that are either poorly designed or are of low quality, so you need to do a little research before you buy something.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:21 pm

I use to use a hammer when I was a kid to put pinions on. If you cut your motor shaft the right length and tap the pinion on till it's flush with the motor shaft you can't put it on to far. But most of the gear presses I've used have a recess hole for the motor shaft and you can't see if the shaft is even with the pinion and it's real easy to press it on to far.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:04 am

I was just looking at a Minnow motor that I have and after looking at it I would just cut the motor shaft to the desired length and tap the pinion on like you normally do. The motor shaft can't move more than a few thousands of an inch if it moves at all and that's not going to hurt anything.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 am

My Slot.It gear press/puller is one of my go-to tools. Not cheap, that's for sure, but so very handy.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:39 am

Thats what I have too, it has a piece that holds the back of those motors like a flat boxer,
That tool continues to be a great investment
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 pm

While it won't change the process of how to get a pinion on that motor, you should know that that motor is not the "Tuna", but the "Jaws" motor.
The Tuna is double shafted. Check your order and see what motor you ordered. It's possible that the wrong motor got put in the bag.....

If they did put the wrong motor in the bag, I'm going to have some fun with Mr. Bob... :lol:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Broman62 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks again guys for all the valuable input!! I actually slightly modified a small C-clamp I had and was able to get the pinion on this motor with no trouble or problems!! And I also ordered a press/ puller, after advice for future installments!! AND I feel like a GOO GOO because it is a “JAWS” motor, not a “Tuna” motor as NH pointed out (sorry to take the funning out NH... :lol: :lol: )
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:00 pm

This might not be the right forum for this but I have a small problem , bought a few of the SCC builder kits for my rms resin cars, I installed one of the pinions and it doesn't mate up with the spur gear, they are , at my best guess, about an 1/8 of an inch off, does anyone think that a bigger pinion would work, or should I get both, a bigger pinion and a slightly bigger spur gear
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:01 pm

The only problem with getting a bigger spur gear is it might be bigger than the tires
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:40 am

Normally 5.5 mm diameter pinions are used with inline crown gears and 6.5 mm diameter pinions are used with sidewinder and anglewinder spur gears. 18 and 19 mm diameter spur gears are available, the larger diameter works with Fly and Scalextric cars, the smaller diameter works with Slot.it and NSR cars. With sidewinder setups odd combinations of gears will mesh properly if the sum of the pinion and spur gear diameters is the same as it would normally be for a particular car. If you had a Slot.it car that used a 6.5 pinion and an 18 spur the total would be 24.5 mm. You could also use a 5.5 pinion and a 19 spur, the total would still be 24.5 mm, but as has already been stated the spur gear might drag on the track.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Ok , I do have another question . Can you use a brass pinion on a spited shafted motor , or is it better to use a plastic pinion instead ?
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to The Slot Car Garage