[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:55 pm

Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

Postby btaylor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:08 pm

This a great idea Mike!, and a great description of the build process. I will post here when I have some pictures.
Thanks for doing this!
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:36 pm

Mine is not as polished as I would have liked, it may get a makeover. I started with the aforementioned Birdie body, and my favorite plastic chassis, the Artin. I shortened the wheelbase about a 1/4" and moved the guide back an 1/8".
Car has Ninco wires on Artin axles, nice and true good grip fot the weight of this car. As Mike said, this is a minimalistic car, so I kept the interior pretty sparse. The driver figure is actually epoxied to the can. I have yet to get a good master to vac the windscreen, so it has the typical heated plastic for now. ImageImageImageImageImage
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby chappy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Now were talking lads.
The right era , the right cars, hey. The Right Stuff.
I'll join in when I get something to add to the selection.
Great idea Mike, an ever growing thread of these builds .
By the way both nice looking builds, and I just happen to have a drawer of old Artin Chassis's.
Thanks again
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:36 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Welcome in Chappy Bob. I look forward to seeing your cars.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:40 pm

Nice work boys!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:15 am

Tuff call on those two Mike! either would make a stunning build.
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:21 pm

These are the cars that got me interested in cars in the late '50's/early 60's. While some of them were streetable sports cars that were modified for racing in the big leagues, others were purpose-built racers; the prototyes of the major and minor marques.

I use to curl up at night when I was in Jr. High and pour through magazines like Sports Car Graphic and others. Reading about the driving exploits of people like Surtees, Ginther, Cassner and other seemed to near and so real. I could look at/talk about these cars all day. I just loved the way that they looked and sounded and the romance of racing during that post-war era. Thanks for starting this thread; it's a great one!

Not to hijack this thread, but here's an idea; maybe not the best one, but one that might be worth considering. The turnout for the La Carrera Panamericana race has been more than I think the organizers has originally envisioned. That tells me that there are a god number of HRW forum members that like to build out older style racing cars. How about a fun run for, say, 1950's-60's Le Mans cars; maybe 1950-1964; before Henry II spent all the money and the Ferrari/Ford battle overshadowed everything else. '50-'64 would include a lot of interesting cars, including the Cobras, but would carve out the Ferrari 330/P's and the Ford GT-40's. Timewise, we could start it up maybe a month after all of the La Carrera Panamericana cars have been sent it. I'd be willing to be a co-coordinator for this fun run and would also be willing to host a race (neither of which I have ever done before............). How does that sound? Any interest? Let me know what you think.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... am_C4R.JPG

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:32 pm

I am always up for a fun run! count me in, and of course i would offer my road course as track option.
this is my favorite era of sports cars. come up with a loose plan, and if you need help, i would be glad to offer up any assistance.
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:48 pm

I agree about magic these cars bring to older folks like ourselves. My first slot car was the green Marx Tipo 61 Birdcage that came in a set given to my brother and I for Christmas in 1962. My brother laid claim to the Ferrari from that set.

The wheels of progress turn slow around here so I don't know if this car will be ready. I might know more in a couple of weeks. All of the other classics I have running are more or less stock RTR cars. These Bergman cars are over scale. Maybe about 1/30 or so. Would that matter in a "fun run"? My track is available. I don't have timing set up on it so there won't be any competitive racing per-say. But the track is landscaped and could make a nice backdrop for some photo ops.
Last edited by Nor Cal Mike on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:03 pm

Mike , this thread is all about the not so scale beauty's of our past, any fun run we host should reflect that,and of course all the cars mentioned as well. but i must admit, a retro Strombecker,eldon type run would be cool! original type bodies with the needed chassis up grades.? or of course, resin copies thereof.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Agreed on all of your points Sir. This thread is about the toys of yesteryear, scale somewhat suspect. Now I wanna get a Marx Birdcage. LOL
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:17 pm

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Next

Return to Vintage Slot Cars