[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Re: Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

Postby chappy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Well count me in to help.
So long as I can make the buck or get one from somewhere we should be good to go.
My biggest problem is the Vivak comes in 4' ×8' sheets.
Nicely rolled, but finding space to cut into 12 x 12 pieces for the 10 x 10 table is tricky lol.
Let me know and I will jump onboard.
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby chappy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Bob C is fine Mike.
if windshield molds that perhaps neither Bob T or I have could be made from a clay, and sent to one of us for reroduction.
Should be pretty simple I'd think.
I'll let Bob T take the reins and if he needs me to pitch in I will be more than happy.
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby btaylor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Just my opinion guys, but we cant have to many people working on these projects. the slot industry is not catering to the 60's era slots, so its up to us to keep a parts supply. I would love to come on the board to find something like glass or light covers, and be directed to half a dozen folks with the parts re-popped! I know from casting, that you can get overwhelmed in a hurry trying to get everyone's bodies done, so if we had multiple sources, great!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:33 pm

We don't want to overwhelm anyone that is for sure. I don't see the economy into going to all of the trouble to cast clear resin for two or three builds though. There might be a very minor market on Ebay. Heck, If clear parts could be had it might make these bodies more desirable but I doubt it. :violin: Carving a wood buck that one of you with vacu machines is probably more to the scale of the project.

Bob C, when you say sending something over in clay, what do you mean? Are you talking modeling clay? You can't run that through your machine can you? I assumed that a buck would have to be baked clay or wood. My wife has some of this stuff that she makes jewelry trinkets out of and then bakes it in the oven. Would that work? Inquiring minds want to know these things :D

Well I am off for the afternoon. I'll check back later.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Mike the kiln fired would be excellent, but would have to be rechecked after firing for shrinkage.
some of the modelling clays will harden as air dry, That is what I use most of the time , it is fairly stable if wrapped properly for shipping.
I simply use the existing windshield , pack the inside with clay, and trim to size.
That way I can make duplicates from plaster for multiple bucks.
Let me know either way, as Bob T says for the economics it likely isnt a profitable thing, but for one offs or even for a few for events such as ROAR, it would just be a few minutes on the vacc and a bit of Vivak.
If however we don't have a master to work from, I suspect a repro from the body markings might help.
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby btaylor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:57 pm

Chappy, thats one of the problems with vac-ing a stock glass, it ends up the thickness of the PVC larger than the original. in some cases it does not matter. the clay shrinkage could be a good thing for the vac process!

Bobt
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby chappy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Yep your right Bob, thats why I prefer the clay method, as it is taken from the inside of the original.
That way repros should be the correct size unless the original is very thick.
If the fired pottery is taken from the inside, and shrinks it might be a bit onnthe shy side.
Still its worth a shot, not a lot of $ involved in the trial.
Just by way of explanation, the clay is put inside the original windshield and shaped to the inside as a block.
Then when vacced it should go back to the original size, unless the original, is thicker than 30th.
Sorry I may not have explained it very well, I will try and do a pic or 2 later showing what I mean.
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Looks great Mike!,Sits just right too. I think I have found out the mystery of the windscreen problem on the TR's. the early pre 63-64 version did not have mounts for the windscreen, the later version with cast in driver, had two posts on the bottom of the glass. I think they would interchange if the holes were drilled.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Neither of the two that I have here have the holes so maybe they are early. [Correction: The blue body with the cast in driver does have holes.] I have both the cast in the body driver and the one with the little pocket for a free standing driver. I noticed that the ones with pocket were for the long shaft front mounted motors. The chassis with rear mounted motor would not fit in that body.

I have seen the same bodies but with different chassis/ drivetrain sold under the Lionel name. Do you know the story on that?
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Mike that looks very nice. I just love watching thes old beauties turn laps.
As for, the windshields, and the lack of masters, Where there's a will theres a way.
If you use sculpting clay and form a block shaped on the inside of the windshield lines, so, that anything molded around it would fit into the windshield recess, I can duplicate it.
You can shape the sides and front to the height and shape required, and I would then make a plaster ,
actually Hydrostone master, and start vaccing them with an additional skirt at the bottom to make tabs etc to fit the car.
Hydrostone is a similar product to Hydrocal, but is harder and a finer finish.
The other option is to list the cars and makes to see if we can determine the actual windshield size from resources .
Thoughts?
Chappy
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:50 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Let me know when your ready Mike and I will send the address info.
Bob have you got anything you would like me to give a shot on the vacc table.
just let me know. I can't do resin thats Bob Ts forte, thankfully.
Cheers lads
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby chappy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Mike , any chance you have the Ninco Ferrari to compare windshield sizes, as I have one here.
If they are the same size, then I can just use my own for the mold making, save you a bit of time and work. Although far be it for me to prevent you playing with your new clay. :lol: .
Bob C
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Sorry no I don't have one. That is a kind offer Sir.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Slot Cars