[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Spare set screws for old crown gears

Spare set screws for old crown gears

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Spare set screws for old crown gears

Postby balsaworks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:07 am

I need set screws for the gears of some of my old slot cars; Atlas, Revell and Monogram.
Does anyone know the correct dimensions for these set screws and where to find spares?
balsaworks
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Spare set screws for old crown gears

Postby Ember » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:48 am

You'll be able to get replacements from anyone that deals in small screws etc. It's merely a matter of knowing what size they are. How do they compare in size to the Slot.it ones, which are M2 or the NSR, which are M2.5? Of course, chances are they will be small gauge imperial sizes rather than metric.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby balsaworks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:36 am

Right - the thing is I'm not familiar with the imperial sizes. If someone could suggest what might the right size(s) I can get some screws to try out.
balsaworks
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby filsautobody » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:56 am

I have the same set up and gearing. Just pulled a screw and checked they are 2-56 NC. Don't know where you are located but if you need help getting them let me know.
filsautobody

Postby filsautobody » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:58 am

Nice try Shotgun but 4-40 is toooooo large.
filsautobody

Postby balsaworks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:59 pm

balsaworks
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby filsautobody » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Hey Balsa,

N.C. = Numerical Control

Phil
filsautobody

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:45 am

On the screws there are two common designations, NC (or UNC) and NF (or UNF)
NC / UNC - Unified National Course
NF / UNF - Unified National Fine
I have never really thought about why they add the suffix since the threads per inch are listed - but I would guess it is just a quick ref.
Also for ref:
#4 screws - 40 threads per inch is NC, 48 threads per inch is NF
#2 screws - 56 threads per inch is NC, 64 threads per inch is the NF
:)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby balsaworks » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:40 pm

I purchased some set screws and thought I might as well get a selection of various sizes while I was at it. They're quite cheap, from several sources on the net. It turned out that the Atlas car that I started with required 2-56 screws as expected, but then chassis no. 2 needed 3-48. It may be that someone re-drilled and tapped that gear. In any case I'm now armed to tackle my fleet of vintage cars and that feels great!
balsaworks
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ramcatlarry » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Allen head socket set screws are SO MUCH easier to work with over the flat blade grubs found in some of the old gears. They were always available in the old days and I for one changed fasteners at my own will. The sizes were never as consistent as they are in modern parts.
Ramcatlarry

Return to Vintage Slot Cars